Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB hard drive data missing HELP!

• Please log in to reply

rafalc

rafalc

• Pip
  • 8 posts
So this is the problem:

I was reinstalling windows on an additional PC and had the USB drive plugged in. As soon as I noticed that the drive showed up on the "drive list" part of Windows installation I quit out of it unplugged the external drive to prevent any partition/format problems and installed windows on the internal drive. Later with windows installed, the USB hard drive was plugged back in but was not being recognized under My Computer, but was Healthy in Disk Manager.

So then I connected the external drive internally. After a few different jumper settings, I finally got it to be the slave. Now when I try to open the drive, it says that it is unformatted. Of course I do not want to format the drive since I have important data on it.

So then I took the drive out, set it up as external again and connected it to the original machine where it was working just fine before.

When I go ot My Computer and click on the drive it now says that it needs to be formatted (this is on the original machine where it was working fine before)

When I run Partition Magic/Partition Info this is what I get about the drive:
The 60gigs of where the data used to be (and I assume still is) is shows as UNALLOCATED. The other 140gigs of empty space is shown as an UNFORMATTED partition.

I know this is a lot to read but PLEASE HELP! I have important 60gigs of data on the drive and I need it. Also, I don't want to spend crazy amounts of money for a "professional" data recovery place.

Any ideas?
Thank you.

Advertisements

rafalc

rafalc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
if anyone has seen this happen before and knows a solution..PLEASE help...

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I have no idea, but this idea for some stupid idea may work... try different ways of running disk defrag and then try error checking... it may help if you try it with xp first and if that fails try it with 98 or win2000 if you have either one, this for some stupid reason may work, or it may not, but error checking may fix it up for you if you find a way to do it.

Again it may either work, not work(flop), or overwright it, but why not give it a try? Go Go Go... of course you may overwrite the data :tazz: ... your call.

rafalc

rafalc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the help.

I actually used a program and I saw all my data, now to recover it, I need to buy the full version.

Anyone knows where I can get a full version of for example... 'GetDataBack'?

Thanks

rafalc

rafalc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Does anyone have a GetDataBack for NTFS Name and license Key that work?

If you do, PLEASE respond and let me know.

I need one BAD.

Thanks

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Cant you just buy the service code off their website or via some e-mail service?

:tazz:

Edited by Destructo Roboto, 07 June 2005 - 01:26 PM.

rafalc

rafalc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, but I think it is a rip off since they only give you a 30 day license for $80.
I think you have to buy a new one every 30 days if you still need it.

Anyway I just got a copy of Winternals admin pack and Acronis, so I am good to go.

Thanks for all your help.