Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen of death and other (not so) funny problems

• Please log in to reply

xAc!d

xAc!d

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
So recently my computer has been performing like crap. I moved and a moving company had my PC for about 3 weeks, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I set it all back up, did a clean reformatting of my OS, and now I have tons of problems.

The goods:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Core I7 950 CPU
Nvidia GTX 460 GPU
ASUS P6X58D-E MOBO
6GB RAM

1st thing I noticed while booting up was a warning saying my CPU temperature is too high, and pretty much to proceed at your own risk. Checked my CPU temperatures, they run at about 63 C just browsing the internet, about 69-70 C when playing a game (CS:GO). GPU Temperature is about 50 C. For whatever reason it's only showing 2 cores in Speedfan, not 4, both of which are about 70-75 C.

2nd thing I noticed is a severe lack of performance in games. This is why I reformatted to begin with. I have high FPS (in CS:GO about 150 max settings), yet the game runs choppy as if I'm at 25 FPS.

And the newest thing that it wants to do is act like a bag of *** at startup. When it's time to display the login screen, it instead goes black on the monitor, and about 15 seconds later when it finally decides it wants to cooperate, it sluggishly shows me my login screen, which doesn't let me type at first. Once I'm finally logged in it's choppy and sluggish until finally it decides it wants to let me use my desktop. If I let it fall asleep, it will not wake up. Just stays black. Have to do a hard boot.

So what could this be? Thanks ahead of time.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I would check first why is your CPU temps so high

Check if the fan is not obstructed
Check if the fan runs at a proper speed
Make sure it is not dirty
Make sure it is properly seated

At last reapply new thermal paste (make sure to clean both the processor and heatsink of any old paste before applying new one)

Also try CPUID Hardware Monitor instead of Speedfan to check your temps, Speedfan is good but it is not always accurate
Also verify with CPUID your voltage for your PSU, a defective PSU may still start your computer but will greatly affect it's performance and may damage it.

CPUID download link
http://www.cpuid.com.../1.21-setup.exe

Hope this helps

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello xAc!d

The first thing that I would suggest is that you open the case and remove and then reseat your Ram sticks and video card, check that all internal connections are secure and when you reassemble the computer leave the side of the case off so that you can check that your cooling fans are running correctly.

Once you have done the above check out the HDDs performance, see below;

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;
Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the CD bootable.

Back up all important data on the HDD before testing in case of mechanical failure of the drive.

xAc!d

xAc!d

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I dusted out the whole system, took out and put back the RAM sticks and graphics card. I took off the heatsink, re-applied some thermal paste, reseated it. Everything seems to be running smooth again. Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update which is great news xAc!d :thumbsup:

As suggested earlier by Alzeimer keep a check on your temps and PSU output http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Any further problems return to this topic and we will do our best to help, you are welcome BTW <_<