I also have spyhunter. Should I also uninstall that as well?
I would recommend just keeping your anti-virus (Microsoft Security Essentials) and Malwarebytes. This is all you really need (plus the Windows firewall).
NOthing seems to be missing but the documents section of my folder seems to have music and my videos folders that I can't acess when I click them. I can still acess my music and my videos on my real folder but there seems to be folders that I didn't previously have on my documents section.
Why is there a folder with my name and a folder with everything on my hardrive on my desktop even though I didn't put them there.
That's really creeping me out.
Another weird thing. On my music folder I have stuff I have never put there. They are all pictures related to the bands I listen to but they were never in my music folder before. Idk why they are there.
Could you take a screenshot of these so that I can see? They may just be hidden files that are being shown because of some of our fixes. If so, they will go away when we clean up.
Let's sweep for remnants.
Step 1: Run SecurityCheck
Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
- Save it to your Desktop.
- Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
- A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Step 2: Run MBAM.
- Please open Malwarebytes and update the definitions.
- Next, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
- The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
- The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
Step 3: Run online scan.
Run ESET Online Scanner:
Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.
Windows 7 users: You will need to to right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.
- Please go here then click on:
Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.
All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.
- When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
- Make sure that the option Remove found threats is Not checked, and the option Scan archives is checked.
- Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
- Scan for potentially unwanted applications
- Scan for potentially unsafe applications
- Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
- Now click on:
- The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
- When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically. The scan may take several hours.
- Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan otherwise it may stall.
- When completed select Uninstall application on close if you so wish, make sure you copy the logfile first!
- Now click on:
- Use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files (x86)\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt.
- Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
Things I need in your next reply:
- SecurityCheck log
- MBAM log
- ESET log
- Any outstanding problems?