Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop turns off after a second?

• Please log in to reply

owen5

owen5

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi, hopefully someone will be able to help with this....

My son has a Toshiba Satellite Pro C660-255 with Win 7HP.
A couple of months ago he managed to break the right hand hinge and damage the screen cable and some other lead (something to do with the wi-fi?) by inadvertently jumping on it (it was in his bed, but he didn't realise).
It continued to work for about a month, but then one day simply wouldn't turn on - when you press the power button the fan comes on but then the laptop immediately shuts down.
I've had the hinge and screen cable repaired, but the laptop still won't turn on.
I have tried removing the battery and running on mains power.
I have also checked the hard drive and RAM - both are fine.

I'm concerned that the problem could be with the motherboard - if this is the case then it's probably not worth paying to get it fixed. However before I'm reluctant to give up on it completely without eliminating any other potential problems.

Can anyone offer any help/ advice please?

Thanks,

Owen.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
My daughter allowed my ten year old grandson to take his lappy to bed.

He would fall asleep with it on and then when asleep turn over and the laptop went on the floor.

My grand daughter pushed the charger in her lappy so hard that it broke it off inside.

It sounds like your lad has given this box some serious hammer Owen and I personally wouldn't trust him with a bag of marbles as kids have no respect for anything these days.

Most repair shops that are reputable, and even ones that are not, can charge £40-50 an hour at least to work on a machine.

Anyway back to the main agenda, I reckon this machine has been on the bed that long that either the CPU has blown via overheating or it's full of dust.

owen5

owen5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
You may well be right - it has spent a lot of time on his bed.

Thankfully I didn't pay for it - he did. So it's his own money that he's wasted rather than mine. Maybe it will teach him a lesson....

Is there any way that I could diagnose the problem without taking it to a shop?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
As I have said the cpu could be fried due to overheating or it could be that the internal psu is faulty.

Have you any experience of stripping laptops down to diagnose them at all?

Sorry to sound so negative here but in my opinion it would be not be worth it considering the problems that it has.

Rascle53

Rascle53

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
ive had a cpl hp's that did the same thing, luckly all it was is dust in the fans, i opened the laptop, took my can of air and blew out everything i could find. just a thought
rascle

owen5

owen5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Certainly worth a try....