Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I know if my charger is broken or if my charger jack is detache

• Please log in to reply

Incoming

Incoming

• PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
Lately I've had to wiggle my charger around to get it to work, but now I can't even find the right spot for it :(. How do I figure out without spending $$ on a charger? I don't think I'm under warranty unless there's a two year free one for Asus.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Hello Incoming

It is possible that the power jack port on the notebook has come loose or detached from the MB, this can occur through nothing more than everyday use.

Does the ASUS have a name or number on it such as Asus N56VM-S4110V

Incoming

Incoming

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
For the version it says K84L and then under barcode it says X44H-BBR5

thanks for quick reply, appreciated

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Is the notebook at the link the same model http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B009LPT6GO

Is there any movement in the notebooks power jack port when you plug in the AC adapter.

Does your AC adapter have an LED on it that normally illuminates when it is being used to power/charge the notebook and if so does it still illuminate when connected to the wall socket.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Incoming

Incoming

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
I'm not sure if there's any movement in the jack. I know that if I push down on the connecting part the orange charging light turns on (on the computer). And the charger lights up green when it's plugged in, and it still does.

Also, the charger gets to be REALLY hot now. When I pull it out if I touch it by accident I feel like the sun just supernova'd and the heat landed on me.

The model is right, btw.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Trying a compatible charger with the notebook would be my first suggestion, ask friends if they have one you can try or take the notebook to a local tech store and have them try one of theirs, many will do this for free in the hope of making a sale if you need a replacement.

From the additional information provided the jack does not sound as if it has come away from the MB but more likely to be worn/damaged internally, if this is the case you may wish to consider having a local tech or tech store carry out the repair as it requires the notebook to be dismantled and this is a task that is above the average user due to the complexity, as your notebook is relatively new there does not appear to be a repair guide available at present so the best that I can do is provide an example of the repair procedure should the power jack port need to be replaced http://www.insidemyl...-dc-power-jack/

Incoming

Incoming

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
By tech stores do you mean like best buy and stuff? Or more independently owned? Thanks a lot for the help, I'm hoping it's the charger because I've heard the MB repair is expensive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Any store that sells computer hardware will do, check first though that you will not need to pay a fee, suggest to them that you suspect that your charger has issues as this will let them know that you have done some research into the problem first and cannot be misled into anything.

I also hope that it is the charger, any replacement or repair cost is bad enough so the less it cost the better.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

By tech stores do you mean like best buy and stuff? Or more independently owned? Thanks a lot for the help, I'm hoping it's the charger because I've heard the MB repair is expensive.

Just so you know,it would be a power port repair not a MOBO repair..The power strips probably have broken at least one..it's just a pain to get to.. Also they can be soldered back into place,as to being replaced,if indeed this is the correct cause of your issue..It does sound like tho..

Incoming

Incoming

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Just so you know,it would be a power port repair not a MOBO repair..The power strips probably have broken at least one..it's just a pain to get to.. Also they can be soldered back into place,as to being replaced,if indeed this is the correct cause of your issue..It does sound like tho..

Lost me after MOBO repair man, you kinda mixed some computer talk into a bunch of gibberish. Can you explain what you mean please

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
As the power port is connected to the mother board it is not an integrated part of the MOBO,so the fix is simpler as it can be fixed or replaced (as in a smaller part) which would equal a smaller price,compared to fixing a MOBO of integrated parts.. These power ports break all the time because they are cheap,just 3or 4 copper alloy strips no wider the 3/16's of an inch and paper thin...I hope this explains it a little better..

Edited by Veeg, 20 January 2013 - 01:23 PM.

Incoming

Incoming

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
Ok,.. so I couldnt go yesterday but I put my laptop on its side to charge and now it's always fine wherever it is? :confused: :confused:

I don't wanna bring in a working laptop so.. :rolleyes:

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
More than likely that position helped move the power strips inside the power port to make contact..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

Ok,.. so I couldnt go yesterday but I put my laptop on its side to charge and now it's always fine wherever it is? :confused: :confused:

I don't wanna bring in a working laptop so.. :rolleyes:

If you are happy to keep using the notebook in such a way then that is fine, you may find that it will function this way for so long and then possibly only when the notebook is laying as it should be on the base.

Fully understand not taking the notebook into a tech store while it is working :thumbsup: