Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help with driver for dell poweredge sc420 desperately

• Please log in to reply

PauKea

PauKea

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi guys and gals, I hope i have this in the right section. I have a Dell Poweredge sc420 that someone asked me to look at. It has windows xp pro sp3 installed on it and have found all the drivers but one, the VGA compatible video controller. I have read so many forums but still cant get it, iv tried downloading the driver by itself with no luck and tried installing it from the windows server 2003 disk as the people of the net recommended but it says "The file 'svgam.sys on Intel® E7221 Integrated Graphics Controller for Windows 2000/2003 server installation disk is needed".

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it as I'm completely at my wits end with this PC.
If anymore info is needed I will post it here just ask.

Hope someone can shine some light on it for me,
Paul

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried the Dell site HERE and put in your service tag number. This should bring up all the original drivers for the system.

PauKea

PauKea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you for the speedy reply!

Yes iv tried that, when i run the setup utility that comes with it it says "OS not supported" and when i try to manually install the driver it gives me the error saying "The file 'svgam.sys on Intel® E7221 Integrated Graphics Controller for Windows 2000/2003 server installation disk is needed".

From what iv read about it i need to use the driver either from win server 2003 or win server 2000 but on the dell website when i enter the service tag i only get the option of using win server 2003 and that doesnt work for me. Im baffled by it. Any other suggestions?

Paul

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it seems the poweredge is a server system so try this link HERE
Locate your model and see if the video controller is the right one.

PauKea

PauKea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
That unfortunately is the same video controller that i tried to install. Any chance you could link me to somewhere that tells me how to make a proper windows server installation cd please and i will try intall the driver from there?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Poweredge is a server and the page I linked to is the servers for all the poweredge products. OK it seems the intel chipset is the key to all this so try this HERE and have it scan your system for drivers.

PauKea

PauKea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I just tried to use the Intel driver update utility there and i got an error saying "The Intel Driver Update Utility installation failed.

Possible web brower compatiblity, firewall, or installation issue detected.

Select OK to troubleshoot issue."

When i troubleshoot for Firefox the only instruction is to make sure i have the right java update so when i verify java it says i have the newest version available.

I tried going to download center to manually download the "Intel E7221 integrated graphics controller" but when i go to run the setup utility that comes with the driver it says OS not supported and when i manually try to do it I get an message saying "The device cannot start (error 10).

http://downloadcente...g&keyword=E7221
These are the results when i type in the chipset the sc420 has but the video controller that's there isn't compatible with windows xp according to Intel.

I can't get it to work. Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you for your time its much appreciated!

Paul

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The next step would be to uninstall the driver in device manager and then reboot. When asked for the location of the driver try the one you just downloaded. If no driver then try installing the intel driver again.

PauKea

PauKea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I just rebooted after uninstall and reinstalled it, its goes through the process of finding it, installing it but then i get the error 10 code. Thats with the intel e7221 video controller driver. Which should be the right driver for the server.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK go to device manager and You can view the device's status from the device's Properties in Device Manager.

Advertisements

PauKea

PauKea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
There is 2 exclamation marks, one over the video controller and the other over the video controller (vga compatible). I was intsalling the driver from the update driver option in device manager.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Right click on this video controller (vga compatible) and then go to properties.
There should be a tab for error so click on that.
Take a screenshot and attach it or type out what it says.

PauKea

PauKea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
There is 4 tabs in the properties, general, driver, details and resources. I dont have a specific one for errors. Is it one of those tabs your talking about?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try details

PauKea

PauKea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thats all the tabs there.

Attached Files