Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing SSD in my ASUS laptop

• Please log in to reply

Jim45

Jim45

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Sure hope I'm posting this in the right section. :)

I have an ASUS A53E-ES92 laptop that I bought primarily for my WildBlue satellite installations. It rides in the truck a lot, in a padded case, but it still gets moved around a lot. For that reason, and the faster boot up, I'm considering installing an SSD.

I just built my first computer about 8 months ago, and it went well, so I know this shouldn't be too hard, but I'm by no means an expert, so want to double check on the difficulty, or not, of this.

I'm assuming I can simply remove the back, and it will be self explanatory, and I can simply swap the current HDD for the SSD of my choice(probably Intel).

The question I have is...am I better off installing a fresh copy of Windows 7, or making an image of my current operating system? What I'm concerned about is the fact that this laptop came loaded with Windows 7, and no backup disc.....it had me make my own backup that consisted of 4 discs. So would my license key work with a fresh copy of Windows, and if not, would a simple call to Microsoft telling them I switched hard drives do the trick?

Any advice/feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

BL00PER

BL00PER

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
I think the back up should work cause it is basically a fresh install. For fresh install / cloning the material off your that is your choice. With the clone you would have the applications, settings and data already from your previous system. However, with a fresh install you it would be easier to set-up and with less likely hood of error in case the image can't be read or is corrupted in the process. In my opinion if you did a fresh install you could get IDE/SATA to USB cables and use the old HDD as a external and extract all the data off the old drive. This is just my opinion so wait for more and see :).

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I'd use the image off the HDD in the laptop, and just transfer everything you already have over to the SSD. I did this on my 4 year old HP laptop, and it was done within a couple of hours easy. I didn't have to take the time to install windows, run updates, and then work my way through getting each item I wanted reinstalled, and back to the way I had it configured. I used this to copy my HDD image over to an SSD http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812705172 and a copy of Apricorn EZ GIG IV, http://www.apricorn....ware/ezgig.html to make the move easy. It was easy and I would gladly do it again. My 4 year old laptop now boots in about a minute.

Edited by fyrfyter33, 25 January 2013 - 12:13 AM.

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

I'd use the image off the HDD in the laptop, and just transfer everything you already have over to the SSD. I did this on my 4 year old HP laptop, and it was done within a couple of hours easy. I didn't have to take the time to install windows, run updates, and then work my way through getting each item I wanted reinstalled, and back to the way I had it configured. I used this to copy my HDD image over to an SSD http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812705172 and a copy of Apricorn EZ GIG IV, http://www.apricorn....ware/ezgig.html to make the move easy. It was easy and I would gladly do it again. My 4 year old laptop now boots in about a minute.

Yeah, I think you're right. A nice fresh install of Windows 7 would be cool, but then I've heard you have to call microsoft and get a new activation key and whatnot. There are some things on there that ASUS put on that I don't care about, but it's mainly for my WildBlue installs. It's in and out of the truck several times a day, in a padded case, but still. SSD can't be hurt by movement.Plus, the faster boot up would save time on each job.

Thanks for the links and advice. It looks like I'd simply create the image with that program, and move it to the SSD, then simply install the SSD and it should boot right up, like usual, correct? I think I have to enable AHCI in the BIOS first, if I remember correctly. I built my first computer about 8 months ago, so while not an expert, I remember a few things, but it's not fresh in my mind. I used an SSD for the boot drive on my computer and yes, it boots up in about 30 seconds. :)

Edited by Jim45, 25 January 2013 - 01:30 PM.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
It doesn't create an image, it does an exact copy of your HDD to the SSD, then marks the SSD as boot device. I didn't change my BIOS to AHCI I just shut the laptop down and removed the HDD & installed the SSD and booted it back up. Easy!

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

It doesn't create an image, it does an exact copy of your HDD to the SSD, then marks the SSD as boot device. I didn't change my BIOS to AHCI I just shut the laptop down and removed the HDD & installed the SSD and booted it back up. Easy!

Ah ok.....gotcha! Even better. Yeah, I glimpsed at the links quickly this morning before I was really awake, didn't catch that. Thanks!

Also....correct me if I'm wrong, but since it's a newer laptop, it should have SATA ports on the motherboard as well, yes? I know that may sound like a stupid question, but I'm not an expert. I'm assuming I'd do what you just described, open the back, unplug the existing HDD, and plug in the SSD, but the existing HDD would have to be IDE, correct?

Edited by Jim45, 25 January 2013 - 01:34 PM.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I would say it does. My 4 year old laptop has SATA in it.

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

I would say it does. My 4 year old laptop has SATA in it.

Yeah, I'm sure mine does too. Say, can I ask.....do you happen to remember roughly what length the SATA cable was in your laptop? I now that might sound like a crazy question, but the reason I ask is, I want to order that kit from Newegg that you linked me too, and have everything else I need. I have a couple spare SATA cables, but I'm going to assume they may be too long, as there isn't a whole lot of extra space inside a laptop to tuck away much extra cable, like in a tower, correct? Just don't want more than I need.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
There are no SATA cables in a laptop that I have ever seen. Where the hard drive or SSD is installed is where the SATA & power connectors are. There is usually enough room to slide the drive back enough for it to disconnect. That's it. Usually the removal of a bottom panel will allow you to access this area.

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

There are no SATA cables in a laptop that I have ever seen. Where the hard drive or SSD is installed is where the SATA & power connectors are. There is usually enough room to slide the drive back enough for it to disconnect. That's it. Usually the removal of a bottom panel will allow you to access this area.

Ok.....gotcha. Thanks!
Another dumb question, I'm sure.....all SSD's are the same, and the right size for a laptop, correct?

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Not exactly, but mostly right. Most SSDs are 2.5" sized drives, which happens to be the same size as Laptop SATA Hard Drives. Regular desktop hard drives are 3.5" in size. I have seen a couple of 3.5" SSDs, but not many. (The only ones I have found so far, are refurbs on NewEgg.) I think most of what you will find will be the 2.5" size. If you are unsure, just check the packaging. It should have it listed.

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Not exactly, but mostly right. Most SSDs are 2.5" sized drives, which happens to be the same size as Laptop SATA Hard Drives. Regular desktop hard drives are 3.5" in size. I have seen a couple of 3.5" SSDs, but not many. (The only ones I have found so far, are refurbs on NewEgg.) I think most of what you will find will be the 2.5" size. If you are unsure, just check the packaging. It should have it listed.

Yeah, I guess I worded it wrong....I meant 2.5". Wasn't thinking of the measurement. :)
All laptops have 2.5" drives is what I meant to say.

Jim45

Jim45

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Hello again,
I haven't been in a hurry to do this, as I'm pretty careful with my laptop at work. I do Exede High Speed Internet installations, and travel some pretty rough roads, so my laptop gets a lot of vibration, even in it's padded case. That being said, it's a matter of time, plus I'm getting tired of the slow boot times.

To make sure I'm understanding this correctly.....after installing the cloning software on my laptop, and using the kit you gave me a link to, or any other cable that will plug into an SSD from my laptop, it will simply make a copy onto the SSD. Then I'll simply shut down the laptop, remove the HDD,install the SSD, and it should boot right up, only faster, correct? That's what it sounds like.

I may use this kit
http://www.amazon.co...=A29Y8OP2GPR7PE
instead, as the one you linked me to gets mixed reviews, and some people have had trouble. I know you didn't, but the negative reviews made me nervous.