Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 Computer will only boot in safe mode, blue screen states disk er

• Please log in to reply

mznerz

mznerz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This machine will not boot in normal mode. When I try to boot it up, I get the blue screen and it says something about a disk error, has a lot of information about memory dumping, and the text takes up the whole page.

It started when I tried to reinstall norton

I can only start in safe mode. I am unable to run a norton scan in safe mode.

I believe I have run out of options, please help!

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
It doesn't seem to be malware related. What is the version of the Operating System?

mznerz

mznerz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for your reply. Under computer properties, it says windows 7 starter, service pack 1. It was running a bit slowly, so I ran dskck and that is when the real trouble began. I tried to restore it to a restore point, that didn't work, I have had to uninstall my antivirus and re-install that. It is a real nightmare :-) Anyway, do you have any idea what could be the trouble, or do you have any advice as to what I should do next? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Perform a Clean Boot and troubleshoot the Startup and Services items in your configuration until you have identified the entry that may be causing that issue. Here are the instructions.