Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win7 Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply

slreagan

slreagan

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
My daughter has a Dell Inspiron N5110 that is about 8 months old. Today, she started getting a Windows Boot Manager error. Here is the text of the message:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next".

3. Click "Repair your computer".

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

We do not have the installation disc. I have tried pressing F8 during the POST in order to try booting into safe mode or repairing, but nothing will come up when I press F8. It always goes back to the same Windows Boot Manager screen. Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Shawn

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
You have to push F8 repeatedly, to get the option to boot into safe mode. Judging by the references to the issue you described, it looks to stem mostly from a Master Boot Record issue. Like most newer laptops, Dell also has included a separate Hard Drive partition with the recovery software for the laptop stored in it. You also access this via F8, and need to choose the repair my system option. From there it should hopefully be able to figure out what has happened and repair it. Avoid doing a full system restore, as this will reformat the drive, and you will loose all the data on it. If this doesn't work, you can contact Dell and order a set of recovery discs for the system, which should include a copy of windows which will allow you to access the recovery console for Win 7, and we can post a link to stepping through the FIXMBR command so you can access the system again.

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I've tried pressing F8 repeatedly once the Dell logo appears, but can't get the menu to come up. It continues to go to the error message.

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
A little additional info:

I can press F2 during the POST and it will take me to the Dell Aptio Setup Utility, but I don't see anything in this that let's me boot to safe mode or try to repair the system

I can also press F12 Boot Options to select the boot device or run a diagnostic. The diagnostic checks HDD, memory, video card, etc, and comes back with no issues.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
The diagnostic is just running hardware tests. It will not find an issue with your HDD since physically there is nothing wrong with it. This all relates to software. It sounds like you are really going to need a Win 7 disc to get this fixed.

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
That's what I'm starting to think as well. I spent about an hour on the phone with Dell last night and didn't get any further than I had on my own. They are supposed to be sending media so that I can reinstall the OS.

I do have another laptop in the house running Win7. Can I make a recovery disc from that laptop to use in the one giving me problems?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
The thing is mate that mainstream OEM suppliers do NOT provide re-installation disks like they once did and the onus is on you to make recovery disks.

This is a disgusting practice as far as I'm concerned.

You can't use a recovery disk made on another PC to repair your system unfortunately.

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I would like to get some of the data off the laptop before reinstalling the OS. I made a CD of Puppy Linux 5.2.8 and booted the laptop from that. However, I can't get it to recognize any of the USB ports so that I can copy files to a USB flash drive. Any suggestions on getting the files off the laptop?

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
You can remove the laptop hard drive, and connect it externally to another computer, using something like this http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812705172 which means another computer or laptop can connect to it through USB.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
An excellent idea Fyrfyter, I use one very similar that I got from Amazon and it has proved invaluable.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B001A5SK56

ShoppingMonk

ShoppingMonk

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
thanks for sharing

slreagan

slreagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Dell sent me a USB in order to reinstall the OS. Fortunately, when I booted from the USB, it was able to repair the system. I didn't have to reinstall the OS, therefore I still have all the data on the computer Posted Image Thanks for the advice!

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Glad something worked & you didn't lose anything!

tinaewalker

tinaewalker

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an aspire 7560 and I had to do a forced shut down. I restarted and it comes up saying disk read error, hit ctl/alt/del..i do and it goes back to disk read error. Will not let me enter safe mode. won't boot up at all. What do I do now? thanks.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

I have an aspire 7560 and I had to do a forced shut down. I restarted and it comes up saying disk read error, hit ctl/alt/del..i do and it goes back to disk read error. Will not let me enter safe mode. won't boot up at all. What do I do now? thanks.

Please start a new thread and we can work on your issue. Thanks.