Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 dual boot - restore points

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Restore points on dual boot I have just realised, as was the case with dual booting 7 and XP for instance, when all restore points on 7 were deleted after booting to XP, so it is with a dual boot of 8 and 7

If you boot into 7, all restore points on 8 are deleted.

If you have like me a triple boot with 8, 7 and XP, although 8 is installed on a separate drive, the restore points are still deleted when booting into 7 OR indeed into XP

Please see my screenshots

1. The registry edit with new key is in 7 to prevent restore points being deleted in 8 - when booting into 7. THE edit is in the earlier O/S registry NOT in 8 and the \J is the drive letter where 8 is installed.
2. The edit in XP with the TWO entries \DosDevices\F: and \J one preventing points being deleted in 7 and the other in 8

IF you are dual booting 8 and 7 THIS IS DONE in regedit in 7
SO in regedit you go to HKEY Local Machine System
You scroll to Mounted Devices
You create a new key Offline by right clicking on Mounted devices and clicking new and key
You then create by clicking on the main pane NEW and DWord
\DosDevices\X: (where X is the driver letter of the Windows 8 O/S) on my setup it is J
You then right click DosDevices and click modify - you then type 1 in the value

Untitledreg1.jpg

If like me you have a triple boot then it is also necessary to regedit in XP
where you then have those entries for the drive with 7 and the drive with 8.
Untitled.jpg

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 January 2013 - 01:49 PM.

Advertisements

ratsea

ratsea

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I did this for Vista and XP, and it worked fine. I have just followed your instructions for Win 7 and Win 8, but loading Win 7 still clears Win 8 restore points. Do you also need to remove the ref to the drive in the 'mounted devices' as I can still see the Win 8 drive from Win 7.
I have checked that only the 'C' drive is enabled for both W7 and 8 in sys restore.
Thanks,

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• Topic Starter
  • 7,237 posts
Well all I did was create the new key and its value in the WINDOWS 7 registry, as described above., but using the partition letter on which windows 8 is installed

It worked for me. I had already made the registry edit on XP when I was dual booting into7 and simply added the value for 8 to that

I have read that it has not worked for some, when 8 was pre-installed and they have then re-parttioned and installed 7.

I am sorry I do not know the answer

I did read this one.

http://www.eightforu...en-deleted.html

post 3 refers

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 February 2013 - 08:34 AM.

ratsea

ratsea

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK and thanks, that fixed it. I did need to reset the Win 7 restore points as well and delete the old points. It now retains the restore points for both Win 7 and 8 and has survived a couple of reboots both ways.

Thanks again, R

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• Topic Starter
  • 7,237 posts
I am pleased it is fixed.

I never had the problem, so I cannot take any credit for the solution, as I simply searched a couple of sites.

Pleased to have helped.

hardlyhard

hardlyhard

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Yes, works excellent.  ty