Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows has recovered from a serious error

• Please log in to reply

Exelixis

Exelixis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It's a genuine copy. If you're asking whether or not this is a stolen copy of Windows XP Pro then rest assured it is not. It was a gift for my birthday a long time ago.

It's currently installed on a handful of other systems for people whos computers I repaired. As to whether or not it's the same registry key then no. I used their serial keys from their computers to install. Anyway, why would that have anything at all to do with my current issues?

SFC finished with no errors and here's the checkdisk log.

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 7 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 7 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 7 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

32061928 KB total disk space.
12847392 KB in 34089 files.
9408 KB in 4532 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
114148 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
19090980 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
8015482 total allocation units on disk.
4772745 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 a2 00 00 e9 96 00 00 9f b4 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
2f 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 43 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 /.......C.......
e6 15 7b 01 00 00 00 00 4c b1 ab 10 00 00 00 00 ..{.....L.......
7a 2c e8 07 00 00 00 00 32 7b 18 48 01 00 00 00 z,......2{.H....
50 b2 0c f5 00 00 00 00 52 2c 99 5e 02 00 00 00 P.......R,.^....
70 f3 a8 ca 00 00 00 00 a8 3a 07 00 29 85 00 00 p........:..)...
00 00 00 00 00 80 24 10 03 00 00 00 b4 11 00 00 ......$.........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope I asked because usually with a downloaded copy especially from P2P there is problems during installation. Using the customers reg key and using your disk is legal as long as their reg key is for XP Pro and it is the right version retail or OEM.

I see nothing in chkdsk or sfc to cause the issue at this point.
Has the problem happened again since the beginning of this topic?

Exelixis

Exelixis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have found that it has ONLY occurred when I run the programs I've mentioned in earlier posts. I've had this computer operating for about a week so far with the only crashing instances being opening certain programs. It's absolutely smooth sailing with clear blue skies and a subtle ocean breeze otherwise lol.

Through testing it also crashes when running morrowind enchanted editor (used to edit TESIII Morrowind's plugins and save files at a lower level) and DOES NOT crash when running the latest version of AM2R(Another Metroid 2 Remake). I really cannot find any connections between what causes crashing and what doesn't other than they're all programs.

Exelixis

Exelixis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It also doesn't crash when using the emulators Visual Boy Advance(Gameboy Advance), FCEUltra(NES) or GENS(Sega 16bits Emulator). It DOES crash however, when running zsnes and Project 64.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm maybe a video driver issue then. What driver are you using and is it the newest? Did the issue start after possibly updating the video driver? What is your video card make and model?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK a emmulator I see. The other games have you checked the discs to make sure they are ok? If no disk needed are there any scratches on the disk that may have caused a corrupted installation?

Exelixis

Exelixis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
None of these games run on discs. They're all copied to the hdd and have been for years with no issues running them on previous installations. I'm absolutely sure the programs that are crashing are fine and this is either a hardware issue of a driver issue or both. Also, I mentioned the status of my current audio, video, nic, and chipset drivers in this post. I would have this already fixed if it was simple as updating the drivers or locating a specific driver set. That's why I'm stumped here :(

Also, I've attached a set of html files detailing just about everything about my system. I used SIW and exported the data.

Attached Files

Edited by Exelixis, 27 January 2013 - 05:32 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is device manager showing any yellow exclamation marks? I don't see any problems with drivers but it is just suspicious how it only happens with the games. Are you sure your video card meets the minimum requirements for the games that are crashing?

Exelixis

Exelixis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
When it crashes(and by crash I mean the computer instantly shuts down and reboots without a BSOD) it does so the instant I try to open the program. This is not just limited to games as in the case of morrowind's enchanted editor and netfabb's installer, both of which have as much graphical complexity as wordpad. It's crashing on Megaman 8-bit deathmatch which is based on a modified Doom 1 engine. This is what gameplay looks like on max settings.

Posted Image

It's most certainly not a hardware requirement. Besides, the video driver that was reported to cause the crash in the dump analysis's, ialmnt5.sys, is a driver for the INTEGRATED video on the motherboard, not the Radeon 9250 gfx card that my monitor is hooked up to.

This computer actually had windows 7 on it before my friend sold it to me and I reformatted it. When he was running Windows 7 he said he didn't come across ANY of these issues and I'm certain he's played at least SOME of the games that are crashing on me. I know he ran project 64, Worms Armageddon, Super Mario War, and Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch on it before I reformatted and they were fine.

As for device manager, take a look for yourself.

Screenshot

There are no errors in the system devices or usb controllers btw, I just couldn't fit the rollout on the screen.

Like I said, I would have fixed it by now if it were within my skill level to do so. :-/ I'm stumped

Edited by Exelixis, 27 January 2013 - 06:52 PM.

Exelixis

Exelixis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I just tried to use xpadder and it crashes same as the rest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xpadder

Edited by Exelixis, 27 January 2013 - 07:37 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Got me now. Nothing is showing a problem. Let me bring another tech in and have them take a second look through everything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please do the following and let me know if it shows enabled or disabled.

In Windows 7 or Windows Vista,

Click the Start orb and right-click “Computer”
Choose “Properties” from the context menu.
Choose “Advanced system settings” from under “Tasks” in the left pane.
Approve the User Account Control query (You will have to be an administrator to do it).
Click the button “Settings” in the Performance section.
Click the tab “Data Execution Prevention”

Exelixis

Exelixis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
DEP is on and I usually like to keep it that way. If you think I should add the crashing programs to the exception list then let me know.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep add it. The thought is it is probably the reason the programs are crashing.

Exelixis

Exelixis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'll test it out next time I reboot my computer (I've got something I'm working on atm). I've added the (around 30)programs to the exception list. If this doesn't work what do you suggest we do?