Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows has recovered from a serious error

• Please log in to reply

Exelixis

Exelixis

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I've been searching around google and have realized that this is actually a fairly vague error code. I am just absolutely stumped as to fixing this and have even reinstalled windows xp TWICE, but to no avail. I'm guessing the error has to do with drivers. Anyway, here's two manifests from three crashes I have logged.

This first one is when I tried to play Super Mario War 1.7

Server=watson.microsoft.com
UI LCID=1033
Flags=1696082
Brand=WINDOWS
TitleName=Microsoft Windows
DigPidRegPath=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
ErrorText=A log of this error has been created.
HeaderText=The system has recovered from a serious error.
Stage2URL=
Stage2URL=/dw/bluetwo.asp?BCCode=1000008e&BCP1=C0000005&BCP2=6191418B&BCP3=A155CCE0&BCP4=00000000&OSVer=5_1_2600&SP=3_0&Product=256_1
DataFiles=D:\Temp\WER1f79.dir00\Mini012013-04.dmp|D:\Temp\WER1f79.dir00\sysdata.xml
ErrorSubPath=blue

This next one is from when I tried to play Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne

Server=watson.microsoft.com
UI LCID=1033
Flags=1696082
Brand=WINDOWS
TitleName=Microsoft Windows
DigPidRegPath=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
ErrorText=A log of this error has been created.
HeaderText=The system has recovered from a serious error.
Stage2URL=
Stage2URL=/dw/bluetwo.asp?BCCode=1000008e&BCP1=C0000005&BCP2=6191418B&BCP3=A1C3CCE0&BCP4=00000000&OSVer=5_1_2600&SP=3_0&Product=256_1
DataFiles=D:\Temp\WER7a20.dir00\Mini012013-02.dmp|D:\Temp\WER7a20.dir00\sysdata.xml
ErrorSubPath=blue

The third manifest accidentally got deleted, but the crash occurred when I tried to play Worms Armageddon.

All three of these programs are games but it isn't limited to games. It also crashes when I try to open netfabb's installer program, open Warcraft 3 Map Editor, play Megaman 8-bit Deathmatch. EVERY time I open any of these programs it crashes the system.

Inversely it NEVER crashes when I open 3D Studio Max 8, play Halo Custom Edition, Play Minecraft, or use paintdotnet.

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3
Pentium 4 Dual core 3.4GHz processor
3.25GB RAM at 160MHz
Model D915GAG Intel Motherboard
Radeon 9250 256MB GFX Card

I'm running dotnet framework 4.0 but it has also crashed when I was first installing everything and I tried to run netfabb's installer. At that time I think it was service pack 2 and dotnet 2.0.

Edit: Decided to also mention that I'm running DirectX 9.0, I hunted down the specific drivers I needed for all the hardware and other than these crashes they work. The video card drivers I used on the first installation were downloaded straight from AMD, but the drivers I'm using right now are the ones that came installed with windows as they seem to be the same ones. The audio drivers are realtek and newer realtek drivers don't work for some reason. It HAS TO BE this specific version "Ver:R1.23"

Thanks in advance for looking into this.

Attached Files

Edited by Exelixis, 20 January 2013 - 04:45 PM.

Advertisements

Exelixis

Exelixis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm just bumping this so it doesn't get lost in the 1500 pages of threads.

Exelixis

Exelixis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Anyone? :(

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Go to

Start and then click on Run
Type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter
On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X about the time of a incident
On left side click on System. On right side look for any Red X about the same time of a incident
Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
If you find any double click on one at a time and take a screenshot.
To take a screenshot click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Include as a attachment in your next reply
If your attachment is to big to attach then go to Mediafire .
Register and upload your file.
Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista\Win7. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

" Go to
" Start
" In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
" From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

" Go to Start
" Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
" Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
" On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
" Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
" If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
" Please include that in your next reply.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Exelixis

Exelixis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
http://img152.images.../crashdumps.jpg

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 1/26/2013 2:36:53 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012513-06.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x699F)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x6191418B, 0xFFFFFFFFA04FDCE0, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 1/26/2013 2:35:30 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012513-05.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x6191418B, 0xFFFFFFFFA04B5CE0, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 1/26/2013 2:34:13 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012513-04.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x6191418B, 0xFFFFFFFFA0D32CE0, 0x0)

On Sat 1/26/2013 2:31:07 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012513-03.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x6191418B, 0xFFFFFFFFA0259CE0, 0x0)

On Sat 1/26/2013 2:28:42 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012513-02.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x10000050 (0xFFFFFFFF9053FB0C, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF9053FB0C, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR

On Fri 1/25/2013 5:25:58 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012513-01.dmp

On Mon 1/21/2013 12:23:59 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012013-07.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x698F)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x6191418B, 0xFFFFFFFFA065ECE0, 0x0)

On Sun 1/20/2013 11:46:00 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012013-06.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x6191418B, 0xFFFFFFFFB158CCE0, 0x0)

On Sun 1/20/2013 11:14:27 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012013-05.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hidclass.sys (HIDCLASS+0x1D00)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\hidclass.sys
description: Hid Class Library
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 1/20/2013 9:24:27 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012013-04.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hidclass.sys (HIDCLASS+0x1D00)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x6191418B, 0xFFFFFFFFA155CCE0, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\hidclass.sys
description: Hid Class Library
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 1/20/2013 8:57:48 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012013-03.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x6191418B, 0xFFFFFFFFA1B74CE0, 0x0)

On Sun 1/20/2013 8:54:27 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012013-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ialmnt5.sys (ialmnt5+0x17D00)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x6191418B, 0xFFFFFFFFA1C3CCE0, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ialmnt5.sys
product: Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows NT®
company: Intel Corporation
description: Intel Graphics Miniport Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ialmnt5.sys (Intel Graphics Miniport Driver, Intel Corporation).
Google query: Intel Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sun 1/20/2013 8:30:32 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012013-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ialmnt5.sys (ialmnt5+0xD00)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x6191418B, 0xFFFFFFFFA16B0CE0, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ialmnt5.sys
product: Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows NT®
company: Intel Corporation
description: Intel Graphics Miniport Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ialmnt5.sys (Intel Graphics Miniport Driver, Intel Corporation).
Google query: Intel Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

13 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok first thing I want to check is your memory. Some of the error codes possibly point to corrupted memory.

A If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Exelixis

Exelixis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I ran 8 passes with no errors to report.

Just to check out memtest (because I tried to use it in the past but I didn't have an optical drive or a floppy and the usb version wasn't out yet) I tried out the different configuration options and tried using the probe function under the (I believe it was) address range option. It came up with a few errors so I looked at the addresses of the errors and calculated they were in the first ram stick and the third. I pulled them out, replaced the third one with a different 1gb stick, shifted the 256MB stick from the 4th slot into the first, and restarted the computer to try the tests.

Same thing. Same addresses actually, even though all the ram sticks were moved around or replaced except for the second one. I tried one of the programs that was crashing with the ram setup like that and it still crashed.

Also, just to be clear I am not a newbie to this and I did observe ESD precautions by connecting my wristwrap to the wall ground. I was originally going to go for my A+ cert but decided it wasn't worth the money since I wasn't going into that field. I have repaired quite a few of my friends computers and mine most of all, but these errors are beyond me. This is actually the first time I've ever had to ask someone else for help :(

Edited by Exelixis, 26 January 2013 - 12:53 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and I don't mean any insult but normally most folks don't state they are experienced with computer repair and diagnostics so I myself start with the basics.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine

Exelixis

Exelixis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It's no problem. I just want to let you guys know what level of competency I have in computer repair so you can know what to expect from me. Also, I think you should update your copy+pasted response since it seems the websites layout has changed some. I'll let you know when the tests are done.

Edited by Exelixis, 26 January 2013 - 02:33 PM.

Exelixis

Exelixis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
http://www1.pcpitsto...&report=Summary

I forgot to install my copy of IOBit's smart Defrag 2 and this reminded me lol. Also, about it adjusting my IE cache size, I don't use IE. I wont use anything other than Firefox. So I don't think that one really applies. I have MBAM installed for anti-spyware and I use HTTPS Everywhere and NO-Script(plugins for firefox) so I rarely ever EVER get viruses. I could use a good suggestion on an antivirus though. AVG has fallen out of my favor and if you suggest norton or mcafee I will hang you lol.

About the drivers it's saying I need to update, I've already tried downloading newer ones. I've got the exact version I need for my integrated audio. Those are the only ones that seem to work. Newer realtek audio drivers don't work. The newest version download said they were for my mobo's chipset, but they didn't recognize any of the hardware on reboot and nothing was in the sounds and devices. I had to reinstall the r1.23 ones. The AMD video drivers are up to date and were downloaded about a week ago. Same with the NIC drivers and miscellaneous chipset drivers.

Edited by Exelixis, 27 January 2013 - 05:10 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I don't know whats going on but I can't get the link to open :angry:
Nope my Av's that I like are either Avast or MSE.

Exelixis

Exelixis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well exactly what kind of information are you looking for on the results? I can just save a copy of the webpage, rar it, and attach.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually I'm looking for anything that would cause the driver error you are getting.
I want to check the disk integrity now and then the system files.

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Reboot after your done running chkdsk /r...
then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press Enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

We will advise after studying the log.

SFC /Scannow Fix Windows

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Exelixis

Exelixis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I actually did a check disk last night but I can't remember what it said. I'll run one now and notify you tomorrow.

Edit: Also, just to let you know, this copy of windows I am using has been installed on this computer twice already with the same issues both times, but I've NEVER had an issue with it on all the other computers I've installed it on(my old ones included). My copy of xp is stable.

Edited by Exelixis, 27 January 2013 - 01:39 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it a genuine disk or copy or downloaded?
Is it presently installed on other systems using the same registry key?