Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp doesn't start

• Please log in to reply

TheBigGeorge

TheBigGeorge

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

I have a very old computer that I just used for word processing. I haven't had it connected to the internet for years. It was hooked up to the internet by the AT&T person setting the internet when I left the room. About a week later it went kaput. Basically I start it and it goes to the screen which allows me the choice of starting in
1. safe mode
2. safe mode with networking
3. safe mode with command prompt
4. last good configuration
5. start windows normally

It seems to start up and then a blue screen shows up for a fraction of a second before the power cuts out and it reboots itself.

When it initially starts up I can hit f12 for boot selection but it only beeps when I enter in a choice.

Help! Any advice or instruction would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: TheBigGeorge

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

TheBigGeorge

TheBigGeorge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Of course! Sorry I didn't do that earlier. It is a laptop. A Toshiba Satellite. It is running Windows XP

Edited by TheBigGeorge, 22 January 2013 - 04:05 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
The notebook may be overheating due to dust build up inside the case, can I ask when was the last time that the inside of the case was cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

Dust not only causes overheating it can also create a static charge to build up in the system, try removing the Ram, blowing out the memory slots and then reseating the Ram securely and see how it goes, further information below;

There are various models of Toshiba Satellite but the attached link shows how to upgrade the Ram in one of the models and the principle should be the same http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop_2.htm if you would like the instructions specific to your model please provide us with any corresponding model number for your notebook and we will look for the details for you, examples of such ID numbers are Toshiba Satellite A20 and A25.

Further cleaning guidance can be offered if required.

TheBigGeorge

TheBigGeorge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey Phil,

It was a bit dusty in there. I cleaned it out. When I turned it on I got a message saying: Bad Check Sum (CMOS) hit F1 for menu.
Maybe that was caused by taking the battery out when I cleaned.

Otherwise it is the same prob.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello TheBigGeorge

That message is normally caused by removing the motherboards CMOS battery or the CMOS battery itself being dead, is this the battery that you refer to.

NB: Notebook CMOS batteries are often the same as the silver coin sized desktop type but they can also have a wired connection soldered to them which in turn plugs into the motherboard.

Can I ask did you also remove the Ram stick/s when you did the cleaning and how many sticks of Ram do you have please.

TheBigGeorge

TheBigGeorge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I did remove the ram. I have 4 I believe. There are 4 chips. They all say Samsung 136 K4S561632B-TC1H

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

When I turned it on I got a message saying: Bad Check Sum (CMOS) hit F1 for menu.
Maybe that was caused by taking the battery out when I cleaned.

That message is normally caused by removing the motherboards CMOS battery or the CMOS battery itself being dead, is this the battery that you refer to.

Before we proceed can you answer the above question that I asked previously, thanks.

TheBigGeorge

TheBigGeorge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey Phil,

Sorry for the late reply. I did remove the main battery. I don't recall seeing anything like a CMOS battery that you described (silver coin sized)

Thank you for helping me, BTW

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
No problem we understand that you have other things that need to be taken care of :thumbsup:

The checksum error means that either the CMOS battery is dead or displaced and does need addressing but it is unlikely (but not impossible) to be causing the issue, please tell us the exact model of Toshiba Satellite it is that you have so that we can do some research, once we have advised on this we can proceed.

Advertisements

TheBigGeorge

TheBigGeorge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It says 1805-S204 SYSTEM UNIT on the back sticker

The Serial number is x1010475pu

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
http://alatest.co.uk...o3-38692718,30/ is this it.

ejck

ejck

• Pip
  • 2 posts
...off to dust my toshiba satellite too...

TheBigGeorge

TheBigGeorge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yep. That's it

Edited by TheBigGeorge, 03 February 2013 - 12:35 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Expand the image in step #32 http://www.irisvista...llite1800_3.htm does it look familiar.