Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aurora & Nail, please help![RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

XantrX

XantrX

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi eveybody,

I recently got infected with Aurora and Nail and I just can't get rid of it, please help. Below my HijackThis log; what to do and what to remove?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 18:41:08, on 6-6-2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe
C:\Internet\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
C:\Internet\DU Meter\DUMeter.exe
C:\System\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Multimedia\Quick\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\System\Temp\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\System\Temp\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\System\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\NORTON~1\GHOSTS~2.EXE
C:\Internet\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\devldr32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\UAService7.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
D:\Temp 1\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.nl/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.nl/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Koppelingen
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Nail.exe
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Internet\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Internet\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: DAP Bar - {62999427-33FC-4baf-9C9C-BCE6BD127F08} - C:\INTERNET\DAP\dapiebar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\Internet\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DU Meter] C:\Internet\DU Meter\DUMeter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\System\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Multimedia\Quick\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\INTERNET\DAP\dapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\INTERNET\DAP\dapextie2.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Run DAP - {669695BC-A811-4A9D-8CDF-BA8C795F261C} - C:\INTERNET\DAP\DAP.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {18D9C485-7EEC-4395-95DA-DC3875B10E81} (TEInstallPlugIn) - http://www.skylineso...stallPlugIn.cab
O16 - DPF: {2359626E-7524-4F87-B04E-22CD38A0C88C} (ICSScannerLight Class) - http://download.zone...ee/cm/ICSCM.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {DE591B16-A452-11D6-AED1-0001030A4E46} (PBGNX Control) - https://gto.postbank.nl/GTO/PBGNX.cab
O23 - Service: AntiVir Service (AntiVirService) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH - C:\System\AVPersonal\AVGUARD.EXE
O23 - Service: AntiVir Update (AVWUpSrv) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH, Germany - C:\System\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\System\Temp\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\System\Temp\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: GhostStartService - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\NORTON~1\GHOSTS~2.EXE
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Internet\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Sandra Data Service (SandraDataSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\System\SiSoftware Sandra Professional 2005.SR1\RpcDataSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Sandra Service (SandraTheSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\System\SiSoftware Sandra Professional 2005.SR1\RpcSandraSrv.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: System Startup Service (SvcProc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\svcproc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: SecuROM User Access Service (V7) (UserAccess7) - Sony DADC Austria AG. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\UAService7.exe

Advertisements

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello XantrX and welcome to Geeks to Go

As an introduction, please note that I am not Superhuman, I do not know everything, but what I do know has taken me years to learn. I am happy to pass on this information to you, but please bear in mind that I am also fallible.

Before we get underway, you may wish to print these instructions for easy reference during the fix, although please be aware that many of the required URLs are hyperlinks in the red names shown on your screen. Part of the fix may require you to be in Safe Mode, which may not allow you to access the internet, or my instructions!

You have Aurora that needs to be eradicated.

I note that you are running HijackThis from Temporary Folder; please create a new folder for it (for example C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\Hijackthis.exe) and move the programme into it. It is very important you do this before anything else since backup files can be deleted if they are not within their own folder!

Firstly could you please disable Microsoft Antispyware from running during the fix, it may just hinder our attempts to change anything. Right click on the icon (looks like an archery target) in the task bar and click on Security Agents Status (Enabled) then click on Disable Real-time Protection. To re enable it, you follow the same steps but click on Enable Real-time Protection.

To start please download the following programme/s, we will run it/them later. Please save it/them to a place that you will remember, I suggest the Desktop:

Killbox by Option^Explicit
CCleaner
Nail Fix

Go to Start>Run and type Services.msc then hit OK
Scroll down and find this service:

System Startup Service (SvcProc)

When you find it, double-click on it. In the next window that opens, click the Stop button, then click on Properties and under the General Tab, change the Startup Type to Disabled. Now hit Apply and then OK.

Run HiJackThis. Click on None of the above, just start the program. Now, click on the Config button (bottom right), then click on Misc Tools, then click on Delete an NT Service a window will pop up. Enter this item into that field (copy and paste):

SvcProc

Click OK.

It should pull up information about the service, when it asks if you want to reboot now click YES

Please open the trial version of Ewido Security Suite, and update the definitions to the latest files. Do NOT run a scan yet.

Please install Nailfix, unzip it to the desktop but please do NOT run it yet.

Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following:
1) Restart your computer
2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
3) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
4) Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

For additional help in booting into Safe Mode, see the following site:

Safe Mode

Once in Safe Mode, please double-click on Nailfix.bat. Your desktop and icons will disappear and reappear, and a window should open and close very quickly, this is normal.

Install Ewido Security Suite (it is a 14-day trial version of the programme).
  • Launch ewido, there should be an icon on your desktop double-click it.
  • The programme will prompt you to update click the OK button
  • The programme will now go to the main screen
You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
  • On the left hand side of the main screen click update
  • Click on Start
The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
Once the updates are installed do the following:
  • Click on scanner
  • Make sure the following boxes are checked before scanning:
    • Binder
    • Crypter
    • Archives
  • Click on Start Scan
  • Let the programme scan the machine
While the scan is in progress you will be prompted to clean files, click OK

Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report
  • Click Save report
  • Save the report to your desktop and include it in your reply.
Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.

O23 - Service: System Startup Service (SvcProc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\svcproc.exe (file missing)

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked. Please now reboot into safe mode. Here's how:

Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap the F8 key. A menu should appear where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

Please remove these entries from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel (if present):(click Start>Settings>Control Panel)

The ABI Network - Division of Direct Income

Please notify me of any other programmes that you don’t recognise in that list in your next response

Please install Killbox by Option^Explicit.

*Extract the programme to your desktop and double-click on its folder, then double-click on Killbox.exe to start the programme.
*In the Killbox programme, select the Delete on Reboot option.
*Open the text file with these instructions in it, and copy the file names below to the clipboard by highlighting them and pressing Control-C:

C:\WINDOWS\Nail.exe

*Return to Killbox, go to the File menu, and choose "Paste from Clipboard".

*Click the red-and-white "Delete File" button. Click "Yes" at the Delete on Reboot prompt. Click "No" at the Pending Operations prompt.

If you receive a message such as: "Component 'MsComCtl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." when trying to run TheKillbox, click download and run missingfilesetup.exe. Then try TheKillbox again.

There is almost certainly bound to be some junk (leftover bits and pieces) on your system that is doing nothing but taking up space. I would recommend that you run CCleaner. Install it, update it, check the default setting in the left-hand pane, Analyze, Run Cleaner. You may be fairly surprised by how much it finds.

Post back a fresh HijackThis log and also an Uninstall Log:

Open HijackThis, click Config, click Misc Tools
Click "Open Uninstall Manager"
Click Save List (generates uninstall_list.txt)
Click Save, copy and paste the results in your next post.

and I will take another look.

Edited by Crustyoldbloke, 06 June 2005 - 11:40 AM.

XantrX

XantrX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
First of all, thank you so much for helping me! I've run into a few problems during the 'cleaning' proces. The log report of Ewido is in Dutch, but it's quite clear; it didn't find anything and nothing was deleted.

The two entries below were no longer in the scan results of HijackThis (I removed the R3 and F2), I saved the log:

Scan saved at 18:41:08, on 6-6-2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe
C:\System\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
D:\Temp 1\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.nl/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.nl/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Koppelingen
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Internet\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Internet\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: DAP Bar - {62999427-33FC-4baf-9C9C-BCE6BD127F08} - C:\INTERNET\DAP\dapiebar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Download with &DAP - C:\INTERNET\DAP\dapextie.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download &all with DAP - C:\INTERNET\DAP\dapextie2.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Run DAP - {669695BC-A811-4A9D-8CDF-BA8C795F261C} - C:\INTERNET\DAP\DAP.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {18D9C485-7EEC-4395-95DA-DC3875B10E81} (TEInstallPlugIn) - http://www.skylineso...stallPlugIn.cab
O16 - DPF: {2359626E-7524-4F87-B04E-22CD38A0C88C} (ICSScannerLight Class) - http://download.zone...ee/cm/ICSCM.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {DE591B16-A452-11D6-AED1-0001030A4E46} (PBGNX Control) - https://gto.postbank.nl/GTO/PBGNX.cab
O23 - Service: AntiVir Service (AntiVirService) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH - C:\System\AVPersonal\AVGUARD.EXE
O23 - Service: AntiVir Update (AVWUpSrv) - H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH, Germany - C:\System\AVPersonal\AVWUPSRV.EXE
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\System\Temp\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\System\Temp\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: GhostStartService - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\NORTON~1\GHOSTS~2.EXE
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Internet\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Sandra Data Service (SandraDataSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\System\SiSoftware Sandra Professional 2005.SR1\RpcDataSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Sandra Service (SandraTheSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\System\SiSoftware Sandra Professional 2005.SR1\RpcSandraSrv.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: SecuROM User Access Service (V7) (UserAccess7) - Sony DADC Austria AG. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\UAService7.exe

Then I encountered a real problem, I couldn't remove The ABI Network software. When I tried my browser opened and the following message was displayed:

- The ABI Network contextual advertising software is installed on this machine because you have received software free of charge through an ABI distributor.
- To support your free software and to help keep the product free, please do not uninstall the ABI Network software.
- It is not "spyware," does not collect any personal information about you, and is not malicious.
- If you do choose to uninstall the ABI Network software, it can be safely and completely removed by going to www.mypctuneup.com to get the uninstall tool.

I did not do this (yet). I first want your advise, because to me it's strange that I can't remove software from my own pc and have to use another tool (with more x-ware?)

The rest of the process was succesfully and below you'll find the Hijacklog and Uninstall log:

Scan saved at 23:53:05, on 6-6-2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

Ad-Aware SE Personal
Adobe Acrobat 5.0
AntiVir/XP
AoA DVD Ripper
ArcSoft VideoImpression 1.6FP
Arles Image Web Page Creator 5.0
ASUSTeK ASUSDVD
Azureus
Boilsoft ASF Converter 1.61
Civilization II Multiplayer
CleanUp!
Creative DVD Audio Plugin for Audigy Series
Creative PC-CAM Center
Creative WebCam Monitor
Creative WebCam NX Pro Driver (1.02.03.0218)
Creative WebCam NX Pro Handboek (Nederlands)
DivX Player
Download Accelerator Plus
Download Accelerator Plus Beta
DU Meter
DVD Shrink 3.2
dvdSanta 3.42
ewido security suite
EZ Mp3 Wav Converter
FinePixViewer Ver.2.0
Forté Agent
FUJIFILM USB Driver
Genius v3.2.2
HijackThis 1.99.1
InCD
InterActual Player
InterVideo WinDVD 4
InterVideo WinDVD 6
Ipswitch WS_FTP Home
IrfanView (remove only)
iTunes
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_06
Kazaa Lite K++ v2.4.3
LeechFTP
LiveReg (Symantec Corporation)
LiveUpdate 2.6 (Symantec Corporation)
Logitech Desktop Messenger
Logitech MouseWare 9.79
Macromedia Shockwave Player
MediaWare Solutions MyFlix v3.0.5
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)
Microsoft AntiSpyware
Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
Microsoft Office 2000 Premium
Microsoft Rise Of Nations
Motherboard Monitor 5
Mozilla Firefox (1.0.4)
MSN Messenger 7.0
MSXML4 Parser
NASA World Wind 1.3
Nero 6 Ultra Edition
Nero Media Player
NeroMIX
NeroVision Express 3
NetLimiter 1.30 (remove only)
Norton AntiVirus 2002
Norton Ghost
Norton WMI Update
NVIDIA Display Driver
PowerQuest PartitionMagic 8.0 Demo
QuickTime
RealPlayer
Registry Mechanic
Remove DivX Pro Codec
Rise of Nations Thrones and Patriots
Roll
SeaWorld Adventure Parks Tycoon 3D
Security Task Manager 1.6d
SiSoftware Sandra Professional 2005.SR1 (Win64/32/CE)
Skype 1.1
SmartFTP
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3
Stronghold 2
SWAT 4
TerraExplorer
:tazz: The ABI Network- A Division of Direct Revenue
The Sims Deluxe Edition
Weer Actueel
Winamp (remove only)
Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)
Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)
Windows Media Format Runtime
Windows Media Player 10
Windows Registry Guide 2003
Windows XP Hotfix - KB867282
Windows XP Hotfix - KB873333
Windows XP Hotfix - KB885250
Windows XP Hotfix - KB887472
Windows XP Hotfix - KB887742
Windows XP Hotfix - KB887797
Windows XP Hotfix - KB888113
Windows XP Hotfix - KB888302
Windows XP Hotfix - KB890047
Windows XP Hotfix - KB890859
Windows XP Hotfix - KB890923
Windows XP Hotfix - KB891781
Windows XP Hotfix - KB893066
Windows XP Hotfix - KB893086
WinRAR archiver
WinZip

It looks to my laymen's eyes that Nail is gone, and for as long as I've been working on this reply there were no unwanted pop-ups or security warnings. I guess the only question remains is how to get rid of the ABI software in a safe way.

Again, thank you so much for your time and effort. Looking forward to your reply.

Edited by XantrX, 06 June 2005 - 04:19 PM.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Not quite clean, but close.

Close all programmes leaving only HijackThis running. Place a checkmark against each of the following:

Click on Fix Checked when finished and exit HijackThis.

I have heard from others that say it is OK to go to the website for uninstalling ABI Network. Your choice.

XantrX

XantrX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I feel clean. I really do! :tazz:

I removed the ad-software and the R3 and everything looks OK again. Thanks.

One last question, boot time has increased quite a bit. I assume this is because the System Startup Service (SvcProc) was removed or maybe Ewido is kind a tough on my system. Any tips?

footnote: I have got to get a Paypal account, this is what the internet is all about; helping each other!

Edited by XantrX, 07 June 2005 - 11:12 AM.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello XantrX

Ahhh, what price security?

With Ewido loading at startup and real time monitoring, things will happen a little slower than usual.

Remember you only have a 14-day trial of Ewido, after that you may keep the programme, but it will soon be out of date since you stop getting definition updates every three hours, unless you decide to pay to keep it.

Please send me a fresh HJT log and I'll check it for you. Also, did you manage to uninstall The ABI Network- A Division of Direct Revenue OK with the download tool?

XantrX

XantrX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I had a look at Ewido's homepage and I must say, it's interesting. I know how I got Aurora and Nail and they won't get me that way again! But, some additional security can't hurt.

The ABI software did get uninstalled. No idea what else got deleted, it's a bit fague, but it looks all right, I posted a new Hijacklog below.

Scan saved at 20:42:23, on 7-6-2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Internet\Azureus\Azureus.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\javaw.exe
C:\Internet\Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Dank u zeer XantrX

Congratulations! your new log is clean. :tazz: Just a little bit more to do to prevent further infection.

I recommend going to the following link and update as recommended by Microsoft. This adds more security and extra features including a pop-up blocker for Internet Explorer. Microsoft Update

Now that everything is fixed, I suggest that you consider getting these programmes to help keep the computer clean:

SPYWARE BLASTER - Blocks bad ActiveX items from installing on your computer.
AD-AWARE PERSONAL – A fine free malware detector and removal programme
SPYBOT S&D – Excellent free spyware detector and removal programme
GOOGLE TOOLBAR - Blocks many unwanted pop-ups in Internet Explorer.
FIREFOX - Safer alternative to the Internet Explorer web browser.
AVG ANTIVIRUS - Free antivirus programme if you currently are not using one.
ZONEALARM - Free firewall programme if you currently are not using one.

Remember to update these frequently.

Please note that whilst there is nothing wrong in having more than one spyware detector/prevention programmes for “on demand” scanning, having two or more antivirus systems is not recommended as they may well interfere with each other.

You may also want to read "How did I get infected in the first place" to learn how to better secure your computer.

Be sure to keep Windows and your Anti-Virus updated. ;)

Dag!

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.