Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor doesn't recognize graphic card anymore?

• Please log in to reply

dmaster

dmaster

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
The other day I had moved my room around to do a paint job. After it was all done the PC wouldn't boot up properly anymore. It seemed to be ticking "On and off" with the amber light going on and off (in a similar fashion if there was a RAM issue minus the loud beeping), before finally booting itself up. However... the monitor would not recognize the PC. As if there was a connection issue, bringing up the "No Signal" notice. I came to find out that if I were to directly plug my monitor into the PC's original monitor slot it will work, minus the use of my graphic cards.

I went into the device manager and my PC does indeed detect my Nvidia card, a NVIDIA GeForce GT 430. I tried to find out what was wrong with it, it was currently up to date, I tried taking it out and putting it back in, but the results were still the same. I did notice that if I left the graphic card out and booted the PC without it, it would not have that strange boot up effect as if there was a ram issue. So I decided to actually go back to my older Nvidia card a Nvidia Geforce 6150SE nForce 430. I booted it up and it booted normally without the strange "Ticking on and off" issue, but it also would would get no signal to the monitor. SO once again using the original port for the monitor I was able to detect the video card and update it. After updating it and restarting the computer, the SAME ticking on and off and non recognizance occurred!

Could this be an nvida drive update issue? Or is it just my PC not wanting to use Nvidia graphic cards??

thanks

specs:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+, x86 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3454 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430, 1 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 305234 MB, Free - 112205 MB;
Motherboard: ECS, Nettle2
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
A lot of those beeps on startup indicate some kind of issue, usually related to fans and airflow. Is there a chance the fan on your Video card has died or something else has gone wrong with your video card? Try starting your computer with the side off, and see if all the fans are moving when the computer starts up. You could also use something like Speedfan once the system is running to see if all your fans are running correctly. If there is dirt and dust in your system, get it out of there as it will impede airflow. Use a can of compressed air to get it cleaned up including fans and cooling devices, and see if it works any better.

dmaster

dmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

A lot of those beeps on startup indicate some kind of issue, usually related to fans and airflow. Is there a chance the fan on your Video card has died or something else has gone wrong with your video card? Try starting your computer with the side off, and see if all the fans are moving when the computer starts up. You could also use something like Speedfan once the system is running to see if all your fans are running correctly. If there is dirt and dust in your system, get it out of there as it will impede airflow. Use a can of compressed air to get it cleaned up including fans and cooling devices, and see if it works any better.

Actually there is no beeps at all.

I said that the way the computers were starting with the video cards was similar to that of a ram error start up WITHOUT THE BEEPS.

And the fans still run on both video cards.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Did you check in the BIOS if you have to enable the PCI-E option for it to be the default boot vga option, maybe for some reason it went back to the default Integrated Graphic option.

Some motherboards will detect a PCI-E card and automatically set it as the default boot option, others you have to manually tell the motherboard which is the default one.

Hope that helps

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
How many video cards are in there and in what configuration?

dmaster

dmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Did you check in the BIOS if you have to enable the PCI-E option for it to be the default boot vga option, maybe for some reason it went back to the default Integrated Graphic option.

Some motherboards will detect a PCI-E card and automatically set it as the default boot option, others you have to manually tell the motherboard which is the default one.

Hope that helps

Went into Bios, it was set only to PCI.

Switched it to PCI-E.

Same result. Monitor doesn't detect the card at all, even though device manager does.

How many video cards are in there and in what configuration?

Only the NVIDIA GeForce GT 430.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I tried to find a manual for your motherboard to see what were the options in your BIOS but could not find it so sorry if I ask many questions

Did you enable the Internal Graphic yourself or did it just work by itself

PCI is for PCI graphic cards only
PCI-E is for PCI-Express cards only
you should have a third option for the Internal Graphic
Did you have an auto option for the graphic setting (auto is letting the BIOS detect if any additional Cards are there before using the Integrated Graphic)
Do you have in your BIOS an option of Dual Monitor (PCI-E and Inetgrated both having screens connected) and if yes is it enable

Maybe your BIOS is not saving your changes

Is your CMOS battery still good, try changing it

Did you try to reset your CMOS to factory default

One last thing, did you try your card in another computer to see if it would work there, maybe the tickling sound is a message that the card is not working properly.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

I said that the way the computers were starting with the video cards was similar to that of a ram error start up WITHOUT THE BEEPS.

Both videos cards? You keep saying you only have 1. What card is the other fan running on then?

dmaster

dmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
To Alzeimer:

"Did you enable the Internal Graphic yourself or did it just work by itself"

Worked by itself. Monitor can only get a reception by connecting the monitor's vga cable to the motherboard's port

" PCI is for PCI graphic cards only
PCI-E is for PCI-Express cards only"

Neither setting gets a reception

" you should have a third option for the Internal Graphic"

The third option is "Onboard" in the primary video adapter settings. Though it is currently set on PCI, not on board, even though the vga cable is connected and working with the onboard port.

"Did you have an auto option for the graphic setting (auto is letting the BIOS detect if any additional Cards are there before using the Integrated Graphic)"

I am unsure, all I know is that PCI is the setting, connecting the monitor to the vga port on the graphic card gets no reception, while the on board does

"Do you have in your BIOS an option of Dual Monitor (PCI-E and Inetgrated both having screens connected) and if yes is it enable"

No.

"Maybe your BIOS is not saving your changes"

Bios does save settings, I"ve confirmed it by testing this.

"Is your CMOS battery still good, try changing it"

CMOS is still good

"Did you try to reset your CMOS to factory default"

yes

"One last thing, did you try your card in another computer to see if it would work there, maybe the tickling sound is a message that the card is not working properly. "

No I sadly do not have another PC at the moment. If it is a card issue, I'd have to go out and buy another card.

However remind you the ticking noises started with my original nvidia graphic card that I had in my pc which is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 430, was making a tick noise.

When I took it out, I replaced it with my old Nvidia Geforce 6150SE nForce 430. Which made no ticking noise or weird booting until I updated it's driver. There is no ticking noise if I remove the graphic card all together though.

dmaster

dmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Both videos cards? You keep saying you only have 1. What card is the other fan running on then?

I only have ONE INSIDE OF IT. I DO NOT have two video cards in at once. The current card inside is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 430.

I momentarily replaced it with the Nvidia Geforce 6150SE nForce 430 to test the cards, but the same effect occurred with both

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Did you try starting the system with both cards out, to see if the noise goes away?

dmaster

dmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Did you try starting the system with both cards out, to see if the noise goes away?

Yes the ticking noise and odd boot up go away when there is no card installed

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Its possible, but seems unlikely that both cards are suffering from the same issue. Clicking makes think that either both cards fans are hitting something on the cards themselves or something else in your computer case. I suppose this could indicate some kind of wire or electronics failure, but I would expect smoke or an odd smell with something like that. Did you spin the cooling fans by hand and see if you could recreate the clicking noise?

Edited by fyrfyter33, 21 January 2013 - 06:18 PM.

dmaster

dmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Its possible, but seems unlikely that both cards are suffering from the same issue. Clicking makes think that either both cards fans are hitting something on the cards themselves or something else in your computer case. I suppose this could indicate some kind of wire or electronics failure, but I would expect smoke or an odd smell with something like that. Did you spin the cooling fans by hand and see if you could recreate the clicking noise?

I do not think it's the fan as the ticking noise is only heard during boot up. The fans will spin without making that noise. Also remember the ticking noise did not occur when I put back my old graphics card UNTIL I updated the driver. Also the noise seems to be coming more from the power button of my PC.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
If its coming from an HDD it could indicate a failure about to happen. Just keep that in mind. I still think its either a fan somewhere, or something else that isn't occurring everytime your computer powers up.