Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display won't come on

• Please log in to reply

10mesp

10mesp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everybody. This is my first post here so I apologize if I leave out any information.

I'm having some trouble with my Dell Inspiron 1546 laptop. It is about 3 years old, but I've never had any serious issues with it until about a week ago. I closed the screen and put the laptop to sleep as usual while I went out. I came home about 8 hours later and tried to get on my laptop, but when I opened the lid, the display wouldn't come on. The light on the front comes on like usual, and it makes sounds like it used to when booting up (fan noise, disc driver noise, etc) but then it just quits and I'm left with a black screen and a silent laptop. It also now behaves a bit unusual, in that I only have to tap the power button to get it to turn on and off (or attempt to), where as before I would have to hold down the power button. To me, this seems to indicate that it is not just the display, but that the laptop is not actually booting.

I should also mention that I've tried with 2 different batteries (which I know both work with the laptop), plugged in and not plugged in to the charger, and without a battery just plugged into the charger.

This came as a surprise to me, because I did not do anything unusual on my laptop before this happened, and it was not behaving strangely at all. It was also not dropped. I'm 99% sure this is a hardware issue, but I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas first, because the repair shop here charges 60$ just to diagnose the problem. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them, and if you need more information on the laptop I will do my best to supply it.

Thank you!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: 10mesp

The light on the front comes on like usual, and it makes sounds like it used to when booting up (fan noise, disc driver noise, etc) but then it just quits and I'm left with a black screen and a silent laptop

Please clarify as in does the notebook shutdown completely or is it running in the background but not producing a display.