Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Audio/Video Composite?

• Please log in to reply

jh3463

jh3463

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
:tazz: Anyone out there know of an amplifier for an audio/video composite cable? I'm trying to use the Pinnacle Studio 9 to capture audio and video from my Panasonic VCR through the audio/video composite cable via the Dazzle DVC 80. It appears to capture correctly without any dropped scenes and the audio line shows that it captured the audio but I get no sound to play from the original audio line. I do however; get sound from my TV speakers through the same audio/video composite cable when hooked to my TV. I've tried to contact Pinnacle but they are no help so I thought of the experts, you all!!

;) Is there an amplifier that I can use to amplify the audio from the VCR through to Dazzle DVC into the computer? I'm assuming that the sound quality from the analog VCR is just to low to be picked up by the dazzle. There is no way that I can force the computer to increase the audio sensitivity through the Studio 9 or the Dazzle DVC 80. Any help or suggestions on where to go for help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi jh,

the audio rca out from your vcr is generating what is called line level out. it is used to feed any input with an rca in (in consumer gear at least). unless you have a long cable run, you shouldnt be experiencing any signal loss.
since you have a combo cable, and the picture is fine, and you say you can see levels for the audio in your recording, I am wondering about a configuration issue.

oops, I just assumed the composite cable you mentioned was a 3 rca plug type- audio L/R, and video. is this correct?

go into your sound properties, get into the mixer section. see if you have the line in muted. also tell me what outputs are muted, one of them might be causing it.
I will look up the dazzle device, see if that points anything out to me.

jh3463

jh3463

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
audioboy,

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, you are correct that the cable is 3 rca plug type- audio L/R, and video. Iíve gotten into the mixer section of the sound properties and the line-in is not muted. There are no muted sections at all. Iíve tried to use my drivers for the sound card (Creative Sound Blaster 512) as the audio input and Iíve tried to use the Pinnacle DVC 80 driver (as suggested by the Pinnacle customer support. Iíve downloaded all the updated drivers for my sound card, video card, motherboard, and Iíve downloaded the driver for the Dazzle 80 USB and suggested by Pinnacle support.

The good thing with all that updating is when I capture a video using the Pinnacle Studio 9 I do not drop any frames.

Any ideas?

John

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, are you connecting the audio to the dazzle box? you might need to go into your sound properties and select that as the audio input.
im thinking this would be the best way, rather than trying to bring it in thru the soundblaster- help ensure you get proper audio synch.

Im trying to find the book on that thing now...

jh3463

jh3463

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
audio,
thanks for your help but I gave up on the Dazzle. I purchased the DVD Express from ADS Tech and it works great!! I get great video and audio in one. I don't think that the Dazzle DVC 80 can capture the analog audio from a VCR. The DVD Express from ADS Tech list converting VHS from a VCR as part of there features. It's kind of pricey ($100.00 at Comp USA) but my headache seems to be over. Thanks for your help.

If you happen to find out how to do it with the Dazzle DVC 80, let me know?

Thanks

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
glad you got back to me quick before I went on a major search for the book...

the line level in should work regardless. I still suspect the audio input for the pc might have needed to be switched to the dazzle in. perhaps go through the fun little windows troubleshooter to select line input as well- it can be cranky to make work sometimes.

glad to hear your getting things done, even if it cost a few bucks.

edit-

I went to the knowledge base online, was just starting to dig in. Here is what I had found so far...

edit again- its a frameset FAQ, so it doesnt show the response I was on...oh well. navigate it to find the answers- I looked under a topic referring to audio preview while recording.

Edited by audioboy, 06 June 2005 - 08:17 PM.

jh3463

jh3463

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
:tazz: Thanks for your help!!