Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Configuration of second router to extend range

• Please log in to reply

paratrewpr

paratrewpr

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Howdy yall...

My main computer and cable modem/wireless router are located in one side of the house which gives us a weak signal at the other end of the house. Of particular concern is the BluRay player that streams movie services that often pauses during playback. So I was chatting with a guy at Best Buy about options as I was browsing the network extenders. He said a second router would work if I connected it via a hardwire to my main router. Since I prefer that to wireless repeaters, and I still have a wire running to the other side of the house from my pre-wireless days, I thought that'd work fine. So I dusted off my old wireless router (the one I used to use when my modem was wired only) and I conected it the wire at the other end of the house and that to my main modem. It works fine. Our iPads remembered the password since they used to connect to it prior to the new wireless modem and my BluRay connected using the WPS button but our newer phones can't connect because I erased the password and replaced it with the password to the new mode/router when that was installed.

So I didn't figure this would be a big deal... I knew I could log on to the settings page and reset it but as I was doing that I noticed that I wasn't seeing the netgear router (the old one), I was seeing the new one. My question to anyone that can help is this, when you have two devices like this (main modem/wirelesss router hard wired to other router) how do you access the settings for the second one? There is a net address on the back of the netgear router that you can log into but that address went to a dead page (...routerlogin.net). After some digging, at the netgear site, I found an IP address you can enter. But that led me to my main modem/routers settings.

Even if I wasn't using my old router and I wanted to update it to a new one (which I think I may have to anyway to improve performance), how do you configure that second router? I'd think I should be able to see it in windows, but I don't.

And while I'm asking about that I should probably ask about the "best" method for extending my network range... is this method a good option or are the repeaters betters? I see the repeaters as sort of like making a copy of an original, it can never be as good as the original.

Thanks for any advice yall can offer up.

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
This will be a bit advanced but you need to change the IP address of the second router to not match the first one. You also need to turn DHCP off on that one, and set it up to use the same SSID (network name) and wireless password as the first router to have a completely seamless wireless network across your home. If you want to have the best coverage, you should put the second router on a different channel than the first, that way each will produce as best a signal as they can, and your device can choose which one is stronger.

If it is a Netgear Router, Chances are its default IP is 192.168.1.1 Change this to something like 192.168.1.2, and you should be able to access its settings. To make this happen, plug directly into this router, and then try using the IP address above, or the router login website on the back of the device. If you post what model it is, I can probably find better directions to help you with this.

paratrewpr

paratrewpr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the reply FF...

I was with you all the way up to the "plug directly into this router" part. I assume you mean basically replace my main modem/router with this one? If so, I'm not sure I can do that as the old router has no BNC interface as my main does. My setup runs like this... BNC cable from the cable company to the main modem/router, main to two computers via hard wire and various devices via wireless. Then I added a third hardwire to the new (old) router.

Btw, the router is a "Wireless N 150 Router - WNR1000"

Another thought, I've read elsewhere here that some people suggest having both routers use the same name, pw, and address and some suggest not doing that. I don't know enough about it have an opinion really... are there significant pros vs cons one way or the other?

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
No. What I mean is plug a wire from your computer into the second router. This should let you adjust the firmware in the second router, so that the first router does all the work.

as far as same network name with password goes, this is how all major wireless networks are configured inside commercial buildings to get same network building wide wifi. Each router or access point is on a different channel than other nearby hardware, but they run the same name and password so devices can pass seamlessly from a weaker signal to a stronger one.