Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bios screen (black screen)

• Please log in to reply

ThetechmanDan

ThetechmanDan

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey guys!!

OK. The issue I have is that (I have Windows XP), well, my computer will work sometimes, as normal. It will work for a while...5-20 minutes, then it will reboot itself, without a shutdown. The black screen comes on, the one that first shows up when the computer ON button is first pressed. I think thats the Bios screen? But,then that the computer wont load past that which means it doesnt even read the processor or the ram or anything.

At this point I would restart the computer by holding down the computer button for 5 seconds then it turns off. I then press the button to turn it back on. The first thing that pops us is that black screen again and sometimes it doesnt even show cleanerly. All the font is flashing (kinda like the matrix) but, only where the text is.

I have already takin out the hard drive to keep all the files that i need from it. It is now back in the computer and windows is running however, at any moment, it could cut off and do it all over again. Any ideas on what this could be? I was going to reinstall widnows but, it never even gets to the part to where it can read the drive....im lost.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: ThetechmanDan

This type of issue is often caused by overheating, when was the last time that the computer was cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

ThetechmanDan

ThetechmanDan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank for the reply. I have a Dell that is running XP. Not a custom tower. I did extend the memory to 2gigs though.

I think you might be on the money with the over heating. When I was looking into the tower, I saw that the fan had a ton of dirt in it. I blew it all out (with compressed air) plus lil around the mother board. After I turned it on, it stayed on for the next few hours. I haven't really used it yet. It was just on but, I will give it a real test this week to make sure everything is working.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Please see my canned text below to help with cleaning the inside of the case safely;

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan.
Ensure that all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the PSU details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

You are welcome BTW <_<

ThetechmanDan

ThetechmanDan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Confirmed. Computer is working great.

Now, im going to go look around in the forum. I may want to build a new computer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup:

I will look out for any topic that you may start on the System Building & Upgrade forum <_<