Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PUP.facethemes Issue [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I have the screenshot but can't paste it or attach it in the reply.

It says: Error 1706: No valid source could be found for product Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1. The Windows installer can not continue.

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Why can't you attach the image to your reply?
Did the image look anything like the ones I posted in post #30?

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Not surewhy I can't attach it. I choose the MSPaintfile and click attach this file. It then appears to be downloading and then I get an error saying no file was selected forupload. The image is the same as in post 30. It gives me a choice in the drop down menu to use source: Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 [Disk 1].

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
OK, let's try this:

Run the NDP1.1sp1-KB2742597-X86.exe program again. When you get the error screens, do the following:

Capture a Screen Shot

• When you have the screen up that you want to capture...click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key. This will put the screen shot in the clipboard.
  • Click on Start>> All Programs>> Accessories>> Paint. A Paint window will open up.
  • Left click in the white area and press the CTRL + V keys. This will paste the screen shot from the clipboard into the Paint window.
  • On the Menu bar at the top of the Paint window, click on File, click on Save and save it to your desktop.
  • In the File Name box, name it something related to the screen your capturing, like updateerror.
  • In the Save as type: box, BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload.

To upload the screen shot and put it in a post, click on this link for directions.

Upload the screenshot in your next post.

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Thanks, wasn't saving as a jpeg. Here they are.

Attached Thumbnails

• Error4.JPG
  • error 5.JPG
  • error 6.JPG
  • error 7.JPG

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
I think I see the problem. We need to search the regisrty.

• Click Start, then click Run.
  • In the Open box type regedit and click the OK button. The Registry editor will open.
  • Click the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT key to highlight it.
  • Click Edit on the Menu Bar at the top of the screen, then click Find. The Find screen will open.
  • In the Find what: box type netfx.msi
  • In the Look at section, put a check mark in all three boxes.
  • Click the Find Next button.
The registry editor will search for an entry for netfx.msi. When it finds it it will open the registry editor to that key. Take a screen shot of that and post it.

It should look something like the image below, but I want to see both the left and right panes of the screen. Reduce the size of the window by clicking the little square next to the red X in the upper right corner of the window if you need to.

Posted Image

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
rege.JPG

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hmm...I also expected to find that key in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive. Let's look for it.

Posted Image OTL Custom Scan

NOTE: I have changed the settings so please read the instructions carefully.

1. Please copy the text in the Quote box below, (Do Not copy the word Quote), and paste it in the Posted Image box in OTL. To do that:
  • Highlight everything inside the quote box, (except the word Quote), right click the mouse and click Copy.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\DDE7F2BCF1D91C3409CFF425AE1E271A /s

2. Re-open Posted Imageon the desktop. To do that:
  • XP users: Double click on the OTL icon.
Make sure all other windows are closed.
  • You will see a console like the one below:

Posted Image
  • Click the greyed out box beside None at the top of the console.<---Very Important
  • Do Not click the box beside Scan All Users at the top of the console.
  • Do Not click the box beside Include 64bit Scans at the top of the console.
  • Make sure the Output box at the top is set to Standard Output.
  • Place the mouse pointer inside thePosted Image box, right click and click Paste. This will put the above script inside OTL
  • Click the Posted Image button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so.
  • Let the scan run uninterrupted.
  • When the scan completes, it will open OTL.Txt. This file is also saved in the same location as OTL (it should be on your desktop).
  • Please copy the contents of this file and paste it into your reply. To do that:
  • On the OTL.txt file Menu Bar click Edit then click Select All. This will highlight the contents of the file. Then click Copy.
  • Right click inside the forum post window then click Paste. This will paste the contents of the OTL.txt file in the in the post window.

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
OTL logfile created on: 1/30/2013 9:50:34 PM - Run 1
OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 Folder = C:\Documents and Settings\Presenter\Desktop
Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 3 (Version = 5.1.2600) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 8.0.6001.18702)
Locale: 00000409 | Country: United States | Language: ENU | Date Format: M/d/yyyy

3.00 Gb Total Physical Memory | 2.27 Gb Available Physical Memory | 75.92% Memory free
4.84 Gb Paging File | 4.20 Gb Available in Paging File | 86.89% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): C:\pagefile.sys 2046 4092 [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\WINDOWS | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files
Drive C: | 298.08 Gb Total Space | 192.63 Gb Free Space | 64.62% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

Computer Name: TS8730WIMAGE | User Name: Presenter | Logged in as Administrator.
Boot Mode: Normal | Scan Mode: Current user
Company Name Whitelist: Off | Skip Microsoft Files: Off | No Company Name Whitelist: Off | File Age = 30 Days

========== Custom Scans ==========

< HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\DDE7F2BCF1D91C3409CFF425AE1E271A /s >
"ProductName" = Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
"PackageCode" = EB6B0AF87B1DB9A4F86958F643392EE6
"Language" = 1033
"Version" = 16847074
"Assignment" = 1
"AdvertiseFlags" = 388
"InstanceType" = 0
"AuthorizedLUAApp" = 0
"Clients" = : [binary data]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\DDE7F2BCF1D91C3409CFF425AE1E271A\Patches]
"7FCDE114D557E4147AB4D3DC56385F98" = :T320_1ToU1.MST;:#T320_1ToU1.MST
"6D0233A2508C08244B326B56DB3ED3F8" = :T871_1ToU1;:#T871_1ToU1
"FA6C3120265590D488C4A2CDCFC8F253" = :T871_1ToU1;:#T871_1ToU1
"945C798125EA175498694458F465212B" = :T871_1ToU1;:#T871_1ToU1
"A433B83A2A0AD634AB0A43EFE515E744" = :T871_1ToU1;:#T871_1ToU1
"Patches" = 7FCDE114D557E4147AB4D3DC56385F986 [Binary data over 200 bytes]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\DDE7F2BCF1D91C3409CFF425AE1E271A\SourceList]
"PackageName" = netfx.msi
"LastUsedSource" = n;1;C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\DDE7F2BCF1D91C3409CFF425AE1E271A\SourceList\Media]
"DiskPrompt" = [1]
"1" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"2" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"3" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"4" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"5" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"6" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"7" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"8" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"9" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"10" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"11" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"12" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"13" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"14" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"15" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"16" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"17" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"18" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"19" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"20" = ;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
"21" = URTSTDD1;Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [Disk 1]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\DDE7F2BCF1D91C3409CFF425AE1E271A\SourceList\Net]
"1" = C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\

< >

< >

< >

< End of report >

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
I thought it should be there. We are gonna delete that registry key. It has windows looking for the msi package in a temp directory. Then you should be able to install the update from the file you downloaded.
But first we will export a copy of that registry key just to be on the safe side.

Step-1.

• Click Start, then click Run. The Run box will open.
  • In the Run box type or copy/paste the following:
    reg export "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\DDE7F2BCF1D91C3409CFF425AE1E271A" C:\export.reg
  • Click OK
    This will put a file named export.reg in the root directory.
  • Make sure the export.reg file is in the root directory. If it isn't, STOP and let me know.

Step-2.

Posted Image OTL Fix

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

1. Please copy all of the text in the quote box below (Do Not copy the word Quote. To do this, highlight everything
inside the quote box (except the word Quote) , right click and click Copy.

:REG
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\DDE7F2BCF1D91C3409CFF425AE1E271A]

:COMMANDS
[reboot]

Warning: This fix is relevant for this system and no other. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

2. Please re-open Posted Image on your desktop. To do that:
  • XP users: Double click the icon.
3. Place the mouse pointer inside the Posted Image textbox, right click and click Paste. This will put the above script inside the textbox.
4. Click the Posted Image button.
5. Let the program run unhindered.
6. OTL may ask to reboot the machine. Please do so if asked.
7. Click the Posted Image button.
8. A report will open. Copy and Paste that report in your next reply.
9. If the machine reboots, the log will be located at C:\_OTL\MovedFiles\mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log, (where mmddyyyy_hhmmss is the date of the tool run).

Step-3.

Double click on the NDP1.1sp1-KB2742597-X86.exe file on the desktop to run it and install the update.

Let me know what happened.

Advertisements

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Ran OTL and here is the log.

========== REGISTRY ==========
Registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\DDE7F2BCF1D91C3409CFF425AE1E271A\ deleted successfully.
========== COMMANDS ==========

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 log created on 01312013_075631

Tried the update from the desktop and got an error, attached below.

Then I tried to run the update from the microsoft update page and got the same error as before, also attached. If this is something that is not needed, let me know. I dio not want to have you waste your time. I certainly appreciate all you have done thus far.

Attached Thumbnails

• Error.JPG
  • 1-31-13.JPG

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
As this is not really my area of expertise, I'm trying to get some colleagues to look at the problem and see what they recommend. :)

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hello,

My colleagues suggested a couple more things we can try. If these don't fix the update issue you will need to open a topic in the Windows XP forum. Be sure to include a link back to this topic so the Tech can see what we tried.

Do Step 1 first. If that doesn't resolve the problem do Step 2.

Step-1.

Run a Microsoft FixIt

Click here to go to the Microsoft FixIt page
Click the Run Now button on the Fixit window
Restart the computer and see if you can install the update.from the update site and then from the stand alone installer.
If that didn't work go to Step 2

Step-2.

Dial A Fix

VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure there is not a folder called C:\Documents on the computer.

Go to the Dial A Fix page here: http://wiki.lunarsof...wiki/Dial-a-fix
  • Scroll about half way down the page to the Download Dial-a-fix section. Look for the Primary download location and click Download. Save the Dial-a-fix v0.60.0.24.zip file to the desktop.
  • Right click the Dial-a-fix v0.60.0.24.zip folder and click Extract All from the context menu. Extract it to the C:\ folder.
  • Navigate to the C:\DialAFix folder and double click on the Dial-a-fix.exe file to run it.
  • You will see a console like the image below:

Posted Image
  • In the MSI section click the box beside Fix Windows Installer and make sure the following boxes are also checked:
    • Stop service
    • Unregister Windows Installer
    • Register Windows Installer
    • Start service
  • In the WU/WUAU section click the box beside Fix Windows Update and amke sure the following boxes are also checked:
    • Stop services
    • Register WUAU dlls
    • Start services
  • Click the Go button.
Close Dial-A-Fix

Please let me know if this resolved the problem.

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Thanks again for your persistence godawgs. I will post in the XP thread and link to this topic. I can't express enough gratitude for all you have done to help. You take care and have a good day.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi Warden,

Thanks again for your persistence godawgs. I will post in the XP thread and link to this topic. I can't express enough gratitude for all you have done to help. You take care and have a good day.

You're welcome and I'm sorry I couldn't resolve the issue with the .Net update. The Techs there should be able to fix you up.

Stay safe!