Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot open Internet Explorer at all...LONG,SORRY

• Please log in to reply

dontcensorme

dontcensorme

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi everybody

I hope you can help, this is driving me nuts.

My IE6 has been working without a hitch until the other day. I went to go online as usual and I got this box: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check) and IE would not open at all.

I managed to get online eventually via my ISP dial up (freeserve) and tried to download a new IE, no response.

I downloaded Netscape (7.0) after a while and am using this to browse.

To cut a long story short. I now have zillions of problems due to my half baked attempts to fix this. (My partner needs IE to operate his digital banking).

I thought Norton Systemworks might be causing problems so I uninstalled it and since then everything has gone wrong. I am now left with only NPROTECT which is full of files and folders and I don't know what they are so don't want to delete.

When I click on IE shortcut I now get a dialogue box offering to download directx 9, if I agree to this it just downloads and re-starts the PC without installing anything. I have tried this numerous times but can't get it to work.

Anything I have tried has been met with various error messages like: RICHED20.dll missing or RICHED32.dll missing amongst others.

I don't have a Windows XP CD as HP didn't give me one.

Also, scandisk is saying it can't scan hardrive because it can't open it.

Have I got a damaged hard drive? <_<

Sorry this is so long and incoherent, but (you may have guessed already) I'm not computer - clever.

Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

dontcensorme

dontcensorme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi again to all who haven't died of boredom at my first post,

Since my last post I have finally cleansed the registry of Norton Systemworks. (STill have NPROTECT left and can't remove but whatever....).

I searched my PC for the missing files and copied and pasted them into the programs that were saying they were missing and they seem to work now (is that an acceptable thing to do?)

I also searched for iexplore.exe and found a funny looking version which works after a fashion (very slow), won't open pdf files either, but my partner was able to log into his bank, which is all he cares about. I could only open this from Windows Explorer, the desktop shortcut still prompting me to download DirectX 9.0.

My question is: I have now also downloaded Firefox 0.93 and also the little extension that allows you to view sites as IE (thought I was being clever and partner could use for bank account). When I tried to use it, it said "Internet Explorer not found". If I try to install IE it says I already have the latest version but I can't find it anywhere, only the old funny looking one.

Any ideas? <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Have you tried reinstalling IE?

Click here: -> http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

Or try to repair:

Click here: -> http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=138

dontcensorme

dontcensorme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks for your reply :D

If I try to install IE6 I get a message that a newer version of IE is already on my system and it stops there.

I downloaded the newest IE update I could find and it seems to install OK, with the usual messages etc. but I still can't get it to open. If I try to "view this page in IE" from Firefox I get a message saying that IE cannot be found.

I can't do the repair as I don't have a CD, Hewlett Packard don't give one.

<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
<_< Sorry, wrong repair link, try this one:
http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=251

dontcensorme

dontcensorme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
<_<

It worked! Thanks a million. Have a beer on me :D

I tried the sfc /scannow thing first and didn't get any prompts to follow, the little progress bar went to the end and then it just closed by itself.

Then I searched for ie.inf and found about 4. (one of these was written in blue instead of black and the file name started with $ - wot that??)

The first one I chose asked for the CD and when I tried to browse it onto one of the other 3 locations of the file it wouldn't go. Just got one of those dull beep things.

Then I tried it with the one written in blue (the $ one) and when it prompted me for the CD I could browse it onto one of the other locations and it worked! Very strange.

What is that blue one?

Can I ask one more question?

Whilst transferring the files it asked me if I wanted to overwrite a newer file (twice) and I didn't know what to choose so I chose YES. Now when I look at what version of IE I have it says 6.0.2600.0000.xpsp2.030422-1633IS. The one I used to use had tons of update numbers after it (don't remember them but they all started with Q). Do I now have to add these updates back on?

Thanks again :D

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Do I now have to add these updates back on?

No problem, just run Windows Update. <_<