Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

huh, interesting

• Please log in to reply

islandcat

islandcat

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Was downloading Google Earth and Avast popped up Threat, put in sandbox? Hm new to me. Then I get Microsoft error as follows.

Stop (blue screen) error caused by a device or driver
You received this message because a hardware device, its driver, or related software has caused a stop error, also called a blue screen error. This type of error means the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from potential data corruption or loss. In this case, we were unable to detect the specific device or driver that caused the problem.
The following troubleshooting steps might prevent the stop error from recurring. Try them in the order given. If one step does not solve the problem, then move on to the next one.
Steps to solve this problem
Download and install the latest updates and device drivers for your computer
Scan your computer for viruses
Check your hard disk for errors
Steps to work around this problem
Warning
These steps are designed to address a particular problem but might do so by temporarily disabling or removing some functionality on your computer.
Remove any new hardware or software to isolate the cause of the blue screen
Restore your computer to an earlier state

Advanced troubleshooting

So ran a Scan and seems fine. But thinking I might just uninstall. Any idea about this, just to educate myself? Millions of people have Google Earth.
Thanks Lynda

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There should be a bug check code to the blue screen you didn't include. Please do the following and it should tell us even more information.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Sorry didnt mean to not reply. Usually your replies show up in my email. So am attempting the BlueScreenview.exe.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem I am very patient with responses. :thumbsup:

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Thank you. Well I cannot run this file. When I click on download bluescreen it takes me to Set Up and Install. If I go that route I get no where. If I use Zipped it take me to page with three choices, Bluescreenview? (original page) readme, or BlueScreenView (has an icon of a computer) That one asks me to run and just takes me to empty minidump. No where can I find bluescreen.exe file or a scan??? This is what I love about computers, something seems simple and three hours later you are still nowhere lol. I did find something interesting a file ZT9CX4HL that is loaded with pics, etc. Looks like where ever anyone was and its saving ie; facebook, yahoo etc. Like a history. Any help?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem we can try it a different way.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Go to

Start and then click on Run
Type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter
On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X about the time of a incident
On left side click on System. On right side look for any Red X about the same time of a incident
Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
If you find any double click on one at a time and take a screenshot.
To take a screenshot click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Include as a attachment in your next reply
If your attachment is to big to attach then go to Mediafire .
Register and upload your file.
Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista\Win7. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One

" Go to
" Start
" In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
" From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two

" Go to Start
" Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
" Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
" On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
" Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
" If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
" Please include that in your next reply.

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Soooooo, First Whocrashed

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: DISCOVERY_OEM
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ AMD586, level: 15
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 2145824768 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2056491008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

eventvwr.

I am only attached two snapshots. All the Exclamation marks are attached to leapfrog which was a game my granddaughter used to play and I have not been able to uninstall. there is probably 30 of them going back 2 or 3 months.

The RED X, there are probably 20 going back couple of months.

Got a feeling attachments might not work, snapshot takes background as well. Here goes.

Attached Thumbnails

• error 1.JPG
  • error 2.JPG

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Was pretty sure you didnt want me to attach them all. The exclamation mark errors seem to be all the same. The RED X are similar as well. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK where the red X's are to the right under source what does it say in that row?

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
The RED X are all Application Hang - Description Fault Bucket and a number. And as said before exclamation marks are all Leapfrog Connect Device. Have done a disc clean up, defrag, ccleaner. Any more steps.....I just realized I have been a member since 2005. Wow you guys are amazing.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Leapfrog Connect Device

OK so now is leapfrog installed on your system and is there a leapfrog device connected to your system?

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I tried a long time ago to uninstall it and it still remains in add/remove. Trying again says successfully uninstalled but yet is still there. Cannot lose this program or pieces of it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this:

Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
K waiting for a code to be sent via email to use that program. I believe I have used it years back but maybe not on this computer. So will get back when I can carry on. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Shouldn't need the code if you downloaded the free version.