Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is AC power source necessary for enclosure?

• Please log in to reply

medusa9

medusa9

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I have a 3.5" 500Gb internal sata drive in an external enclosure that forces me to find an ac plug every time I want to pull a file from it. I use it only for document storage. I've tried searching on ebay for a 'USB only' enclosure but it returned items that require ME to supply the power cord... but still requires power. Frustrating! Is there a specific search term I could use instead?

I only want to plug into USB - transfer file for 30 seconds - unplug - put away! Is AC power really necessary for this? Alternatives?

Thanks, Lisa

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You could obtain something like this Lisa which takes its power from your desktop/laptops USB socket.

http://www.amazon.co...58931384&sr=1-4

medusa9

medusa9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Thanks Wolfeymole, but that one's for a 2.5" disk.
I've found plenty of those but none for a 3.5".

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Lisa, you will always need a mains or PSU supplied power connection to power a 3.5" drive whether it is internal or external.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You could try one of these, they have their own power supply it connects to a wall outlet

Vantec 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Model CB-ISATAU2
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812232002

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
But it still needs to be plugged into a wall outlet Alzeimer. :)

What Lisa wants to do is run a full sized 3.5" drive via a USB connection only which ain't happening.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I know but like you said for a 3.5 hdd you need a different power supply, if you buy an enclosure they will have one, this one i find useful because it is portable an can be used on IDE and SATA hd

medusa9

medusa9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Thanks so much for the advice. I guess I have to suck it up and keep hunting for outlets! :rolleyes:
Thanks again.

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Thanks so much for the advice. I guess I have to suck it up and keep hunting for outlets! :rolleyes:
Thanks again.

Just a final note here...you could use a USB HDD adapter...like this see item #2 http://www.tigerdire...Id=0&CatId=3770

Then use a drop cord,to bring the outlet to you.. This adapter works great have one myself..Also it requires no enclosure..One hint tho if you decide to go with this..power up the HDD adapter first before you plug in the USB cord...and you may find one cheaper on Amazon..