Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows XP automatic update does not work

• Please log in to reply

tassiesve

tassiesve

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Dell Optiplex 760 which runs Windows XP Pro SP3 will not allow windows to automatically update, the automatic update option in the system box is grey.
I have tried "Happy Rock's" suggestion with the .cmd script, which ran perfectly, but did not fix the problem.
however, I can access windows web site by clicking the link, 'windows update web site' at the bottom of the auto update dialogue box.
Any help with fixing this annoying little problem would be much appreciated.
Tassiesve

Advertisements

ShoppingMonk

ShoppingMonk

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
just check with in control panel make sure you have checked in the updated status

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Have you checked in CONTROL PANEL / PERFORMANCE AND MAINTENANCE / ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS / SERVICES to see if the Automatic Updates service is enable

tassiesve

tassiesve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thankyou Shopping Monk and Member 1K for your replies.
However, as you would have read in my initial post, the auto update option in the control panel system dialogue box is greyed and can not be ticked, so this option is not available

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Just to make sure are both of these options greyed out

A Updates.jpg

If yes and you do not have the option to start the service then you should start a topic in the Malware section