Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet speed on one of my computers is too slow.

• Please log in to reply

ismiseluke

ismiseluke

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, first time using this site so apologies in advance if I botch up on etiquette!

I have a problem with my download speed. We have a 60Mbps package from our ISP however my PC is getting nowhere near that.

My PC download speed is averaging at only 3Mbps - See screenshot from Speedtest.net attached.

A screenshot of my PC specs is also attached.

I am using a wifi network card: Realtek RTL8188CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter

My brother's PC which is using the same model wifi network card and is the same distance from the router is getting an average of 30Mbps.

Today I re-installed windows 7 and I have moved my PC into the same room as the router to see if distance was causing the problem, it's not, the speed is the same. I then connected the PC to the router using an Ethernet cable and using speedtest.net and I got an average speed of 60Mbps.

I would like to rely on my wifi as running a cable through the house or moving the router is difficult. Can anyone tell me why my wifi speed is so slow and if it can be improved?

Additional notes that may be relevant:

- The internal network card is also painfully slow, it's currently disabled. (model on specs page).

- My connection has dropped quite a lot causing downloads to fail.

-When I reconnect to the internet using my wifi network card I get an average download speed of 28Mbps for about 10-15. It then drops back down to an average of 3Mbps.

-There are 2 PCs and 3 laptops that use the wifi on this router. (only my PC is slow)

- The PC had some other issues lately, for example transferring files to external drives seemed overly slow. I since re-installed windows and tested it and it seemed fine.

-When re-installing windows 7 there were two partitions. One empty that had 230GB on it, however I was unable to install windows in it as it said that it could fail soon. So I formatted the other partition and installed windows there.

Okay I think that's all, if anyone could help it would be great!

Thanks a million.

ADDITIONAL INFO JUST IN! A warning just popped up. Screenshot attached. Could the problems be linked?

EDIT - I've did HDDSCAN tests of the PC's drives in case any of that info is needed.

Attached Thumbnails

• speedtest.PNG
  • Specs.PNG
  • hard disk failure!.PNG

Edited by ismiseluke, 23 January 2013 - 11:28 AM.

Advertisements