Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted Files Found... but how?

• Please log in to reply

Aristazi

Aristazi

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
Okay, so I'm still very new to Windows Server and server management in general, so I have no idea how this worked.

An employee accidentally deleted or lost some files on the shared network drive provided by our server (Windows Server 2003). We don't have an easy to access backup right now (it's a project I'm working on) so I just decided to poke around and see if they were relocated somewhere. While logged into the server I performed a file name search from the main shared folder and there were the missing files... right where they were supposed to be. So I closed the search window and manually navigated to the folder, but there were no files there. I went back and searched again, there they are! The files weren't set to "hidden"... so what the heck? I dragged the files out from the search results to the desktop and then moved them back to the original folder, where they were supposed to be, and voila, they are there now.

I tried searching for an answer on Google, but I can't come up with good search terms to get the answer I'm looking for. I learned about the Shadow Copies and Previous Versions that are possible in Windows Server 2003 - but that feature is disabled on our server... so seriously... any ideas???

The files were originally there about 1-2 days ago, so they were pretty recently deleted.

Thanks!! >^-^<

Advertisements

puppet9999

puppet9999

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
That would be a permission on the file or the system attribute was set. System attribute also hides the file but without using the hidden attribute. Ensure that all users don't have the FULL control permission at the folder level.