Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

OS Repair Option Unavailable (Now What?)

• Please log in to reply

tammyjean

tammyjean

• Pip
  • 1 posts
2005 Dell XP has crashed in the past (about once every year or two) and I simply use the OS CD and go through the initial reinstall, select the REPAIR option (after licensing agreement) and it works fine. However, this time it did not give me the option for a REPAIR. I've been reading online and found a geekstogo fix with copying the "atapi" file per the post (http://www.geekstogo...ing-windows-xp/). The description in that post is my exact issue, but the provided fix does not seem to work. I'm also in the process of runnign "chkdsk /r" but I'm reading this won't solve it either. Can someone assist me in repairing / rebooting back into windows again?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
the installation disk not giving you the repair option means that it's not detecting the previously installed version of windows. there are many things that can cause this. sometimes a chkdsk can fix the issues that cause a new installation to not detect the previous installation.

once the chkdsk completes, reboot and see if the computer boots up. if it doesn't, get back into the recovery console and type:

BOOTCFG /Rebuild

Note about the above command.
BOOTCFG /REBUILD will search for pre-existing installations of Windows XP and rebuilds sundry essential components of the Windows operating system, recompiles the BOOT.INI file and corrects a litany of common Windows errors.

For the Enter Load Identifier portion of this command, you should enter the name of the operating system you have installed.
If, for example, you are using Windows XP Home, you could type Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition for the identifier (it's not crucial, however what the name is, as long, as it's meaningful).
For the OS Load Option portion of this command, you should enter the following: /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
It is very important that you do one or both of the following two things:

Here is what you should see:
Posted Image

if after you type the "bootcfg /rebuild" command part, it tells you that it can't find a windows installation....then we'll have to look at something else