Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox slow and crashes-got worse after Java update

• Please log in to reply

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hmm... nothing there leaping out at me.

I take it you are still having problems with Firefox?

Let's try a reinstall from scratch.

We need to remove your Firefox profile data and settings. Before we do this we want to backup your bookmarks.

To back up your bookmarks:

In Firefox go to History > Show all History > Import and Backup (toolbar along the top) > Export HTML... and save it to your desktop.

Later when you re-install FF you can reverse the process and Import HTML... when the Wizard comes up just import the HTML file you had saved earlier.

Now

Go to the link below for instructions on how to remove Firefox:

http://kb.mozillazin...install_firefox

Look under the heading On Windows

Follow the instructions there On Windows Vista and in particular follow this instruction - see the bolded part:

Starting in Firefox 3, the uninstaller includes the option, "Remove my Firefox personal data and customizations". This will also remove your Firefox user profile data (bookmarks, passwords, cookies, extensions, preferences, etc.).

If the uninstall fails, as it may in some cases, continue on with the rest of the uninstall instructions.

Once you have remove Firefox entirely then download a new copy and re-install. After that, follow the instruction above to import your bookmarks back.

Firefox may be downloaded from Here.

Advertisements

NoobMel

NoobMel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Firefox & IE9 haven't crashed while using the Optus mobile broadband -that was with my ADSL home connection and I'm away from home for one more week. While on Optus mobile broadband Firefox and IE9 couldn't find servers and I thought it might be all connected but I guess its not. I don't have much usage left on my Optus stick so I will have to wait untill I get home next week. I hope this is OK with you. :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I hope this is OK with you.

No that's fine. I will keep this topic open for a week and even after that you can PM me and reopen it.

In the meantime it probably would make sense to remove the tools we have been using.

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix and tools used in the removal of malware. This will also clean out and reset your Restore Points.
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories and click on Run
  • Copy and paste the the bolded text below in the box then hit OK

Combofix /Uninstall

Posted Image
Step 2
  • Double-click OTL.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTL.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • Click Yes to begin the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.
Any leftover tools folders/files may be deleted.

Look forward to hearing from you when you get back. :)