Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Locked out of admin acct

• Please log in to reply

Sydchase

Sydchase

• Pip
  • 1 posts
New windows 7 laptop. Microsoft showed me how to hide admin acct through winlog. 2 standard accts for kids were set up as well. Can sign into those 2 but without admin privileges. I need to set parental controls on one of standard accts and can't. When I try through their acct it says only admin can make changes. Microsoft 800# tried to get access to fix the problem through their website with remote access but standard acct wouldn't allow them access. We couldn't even get into regedit. Why would Microsoft have this feature of being able to hide admin acct for security purposes and not offer a way to get back in? There has to be a way to access if this feature exists. Microsoft said I could reset to factory - ??? We have downloaded files games antivirus etc- we would lose all. Help! Please. We've had laptop for 2 months only....

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Boot into safemode with command prompt.

Input the following.

net user sydchase /add
net localgroup administrators sydchase /add
Exit

reboot the machine.

You will have a new admin account named sydchase . :thumbsup:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Also see here: How to Change the User Account Password if Unable to Login to Windows

This shows you how to enable the hidden Administrator account from WinRE, the Windows Recovery console available via the install DVD.