Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Monitors not at full resolution

• Please log in to reply

bradyg23

bradyg23

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have a 575 power supply on my new computer, with a Gigabyte HD 6450 video card. I'm using a DVI cable and an HDMI cable to feed the 2 monitors, but they will not display their native resolution, which is 1920x1200.

I saw one reference indicating that I'd need to use Dual Link DVI to get full resolution. Does this mean I need some kind of splitter so that both monitors are fed from one port? Or did I just pick the wrong card?

I also tried with a Sapphire HD 7770, but also could not achieve full resolution.

Thanks!

Advertisements

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
You should be ok with the setup you described. Both DVI and HDMI should be able to make the HDCP qualification, so that should not be a problem. I saw a reference somewhere else where you need to go into Windows, and tell it what you plan on doing with the second monitor. Are you going to copy your desktop to it, or extend your desktop? This article said after you set that up, you should then be able to adjust the resolution on your monitors as needed. Also check to see if the GPU software has an easier way to setup dual monitors in it. I know my Nvidia Control Panel does.

bradyg23

bradyg23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I've used both Windows and the loaded software to try to manipulate the resolution, but haven't gotten it yet.

fyrfyter33

fyrfyter33

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
That didn't exactly help. Did you set windows for how you wanted the second monitor used?