Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No CMD Paths

• Please log in to reply

Bismillah

Bismillah

• PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
Hi,

It appears that my cmd Paths are not working correctly e.g. if i type IPConfig in it doesnt work i need to type the direct path for this.

Im running a windows 7 (64bit) Samsung laptop

Also i cant sign in to Windows Messenger it gives me the error code 80050154

Edited by nortan360, 25 January 2013 - 04:53 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Open an Elevated Command prompt then enter path. That will show you what the current setting of the path environment variable is. It should start with:

C:\Windows\system32>path
PATH=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;

There will probably be more after that but the beginning should look as I show. If it doesn't you can change it.

Right click on Computer and select Properties.
Click Advanced System Setting then the Advanced tab then the Environment Variables button.
Under System Variables, scroll down and select Path then click the Edit button.
Carefully add the info I show above to the front. Note each path statement is separated by a semi colon from the next one.

Click OK and Apply as need to close all windows. Now open a command prompt again and coommands like ipconfig should work.

Also type path to verify your change is there.

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
Ah it works now!

Thankyou!

For some reason Path was pointing to Java.exe in my JRE folder

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Great, glad you have it working now and thanks for letting me know.

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
In regards to the MSN problem i switched to Skype as MSN is moving to skype and just use Skype from now on. However i find that upon loading the internet it is all fine and all but after a while itll just freezes and crash and i have to reload it and this horrible cycle will repeat. :( im using Google Chrome.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What happens if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking via F8 at boot time? Does it still freeze up?

Bismillah

Bismillah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
Its not as bad as it used to be i think it was bad internet speed. Since our internet speed has gone back to 20mbps the internet seems to be working fine :), thank you very much for your help. Its greatly appreciated.