Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt deleted file

• Please log in to reply

anarxaki

anarxaki

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Luck is not on my side these days. I managed to permanently delete and Excel file. I've searched older posts in this section and tried 4-5 of the suggested undelete programs. I managed to find it but, since luck is not on my side, opera browser already wrote over it. I've found the .xls file and a tmp but both are beyond reading.
Is there any way to repair it? This file is extremely important to me. :(

Advertisements

househeart

househeart

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Hi anarxaki sorry that you've had such bad luck with Opera overwriting those files. It may be possible for you to try restoring your file associations but it would depend which version of Windows you have for example in Windows xp:-

To restore your file association please start your Windows and in the "Applications" menu and choose Reset Windows Applications.
In Windows side you can associate files with different extensions:
1) Right click on required file.
2) In the pop up window choose Open with-->Choose program
3) Select the program from the list or add a new one.
4) Enable "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and click OK.

For Windows Vista or 7:-

To set File Associations in Windows 7 or Vista, Open Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Set Associations. Select a file type in the list and click Change Program.

You will be displayed a list of Programs along with a Description and the Current Default. You can click on the Change program to set or change the current defaults.

If that doesn't work you could try using Recuva which you can get here if you haven't already tried it.

Let us know how you get on :)

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
househeart thanks for replying but I've lost any hope in recovering that file. I've tried all "good" programs but none seems to be able to repair the file.
Life goes on. :P

househeart

househeart

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Is it possible that the original file is still located in your computer's local cache? You can check within Opera browser once you open the browser by clicking the panel icon at the bottom left of the browser window. This will open up a set of icons down the top left hand side. If you click the + icon it will show on screen a menu.

If you then click on info, a box will open up and towards the bottom look out for "Local File Cache". You will see something similar to C:\Documents and Settings\your windows login name\Application Data\Opera\Opera\Cache\

If you search that location within your version of windows maybe the original has been automatically saved as a temporary file. Let me know if you have any luck.

anarxaki

anarxaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Nope, there was no luck there either.
I've come to terms with my luck (and my neglect of keeping a back-up) and I already started a new file. I think you shouldn't bother any more with it. I'm pretty sure it's lost forever.

plac

plac

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
All my backups are on the cloud (free google drive and amazon cloud).

MiketheFarmer

MiketheFarmer

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Nope, there was no luck there either.
I've come to terms with my luck (and my neglect of keeping a back-up) and I already started a new file. I think you shouldn't bother any more with it. I'm pretty sure it's lost forever.

Do create the copy of your files as Backup... 'Just in case' :upset: