Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My System's Fault, or the Specific Website's?

• Please log in to reply

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Moderators: This question doesn't seem to me to fit any other section; please move it if I'm wrong.

For some years, I've been using the old classic Mapquest site to see the cheapest gasoline prices in my area. A month or so ago, my bookmark gave me me weird results and after some searching, I replaced it with another one of seemingly the same URL. Since then I have cleared my temporary files and checked my 'ad-ons' but no matter what I do or how I get to the site, the site doesn't behave as it used to. This is the current address for the site using the San Francisco Airport area as an example:

http://classic.gaspr...nd=&sortOrder=2

My 'bookmark' used to be set to open with the map at a lesser magnification, say at level 10. The map also had dots corresponding to the locations of the various stations listed on the left, and clicking on one of these stations in the list would open a small box around it, within the box being its name plus the street address and telephone number. IIRC, clicking one of the dots on the map would open a small box there with similar information and this might also have happened when clicking a name in the list.
Now, none of that happens. I get no dots on the map, it opens at greatest magnification, and the list of stations is there but none are links anymore; right clicking on a station in the list and using "copy link location" collects only "javascript:showDetails(1,%201);"

A friend went to the site using the URL I sent him, and got the same results I do. I am wondering if the site has changed or if something in my system has; perhaps the site's software has been updated and my older system is no longer compatable with it, or perhaps some features were just disabled? How can I determine this? Does it work for anyone else? Any suggestions?

Advertisements

househeart

househeart

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Hi TooNew2 sorry no one has got back to you. The Malware and Tech Staff are very busy here and there are more requests for help here than they can manage. I am not a member of the Malware staff but I am training to help people remove Malware. I would strongly recommend you make a post in one of the Malware removal forums but before the do please read the following guide to help them to check your computer for a possible Malware infection:-

http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Thanks for the reply, Househeart, but I'm fairly sure I have no problem with malware. As I think I said earlier, I'm using old systems which may no longer be compatible with the site in question (and using the old, "classic" version of the site too), and really only was asking others here if the site worked properly for them. Just a matter of copy-and-paste the link into the address-bar (to insure it's really what it appears to be), click enter, and let me know the details of what happens. Maybe then change the city name or zip code to somewhere the respondent is familiar with and see if the results agree with known prices there.

househeart

househeart

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Edit: I made a big mistake. I apologise to TooNew2

Edited by househeart, 08 February 2013 - 02:39 AM.