Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Annoying beeping in headphones

• Please log in to reply

Kg6

Kg6

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi!

I recently bought a usb headset which is causing some strange problems. Whenever it's plugged in, it's almost constantly beeping. It's many short beeps, like morse code but faster. It's also irregular, sometimes more, sometimes a bit louder. The beeping is totally independant from any sound actually played through the headphones. It's always there, but when music is loud enough it's masked. Strangely, muting the headphones does mute music but not the beeping! So even if I mute everything, they just keep beeping away.

Also, and I don't know if this is related, the volume is now at 0% but music is still quite loud (I mean the speaker icon in the bottom right corner). So my only way to decrease sound volume further is for example to use the slider in Winamp or whatever program I'm using.

Even weirder: if I open the "recording devices" tab, the beeping becomes a lot more silent. It's still there, but harder to hear.

The beeping also seems to interact sometimes with the mouse and keyboard. Like when I hold a key pressed, it becomes faster, and when I scroll in some programs it also reacts.

I tried the headphones on another computer and they work perfectly.
The beeping is the same in all usb ports.
I also tried unplugging all other usb devices without any results.
I tried updating all kinds of drivers.
I even made sure all fans are dust free.

Any ideas? I'm totally confused. Thanks!

Edited by Kg6, 26 January 2013 - 05:24 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: Kg6

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Can you also tell us the brand and model name or number of the headphones, better still would be if you could provide a link to the product.

Kg6

Kg6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey, thanks!

It's a custom built desktop, windows 7 64.
The headphones are 5.1 Medion Erazer. I know this is probably not the best brand, but I had heard good comments about these headphones from friends. On my laptop the also work great. Still, they were not so cheap, so I hope I'll be able to use them on my desktop without beeping :/

Any hardware specifics I should mention that are relevant for this problem?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Are you using the MBs integrated audio chip or do you have an add on sound card.

Do you have any wireless equipment close to your computer.

Kg6

Kg6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm pretty sure it's just the MB, I don't see a sound card in the device manager.
I am using a wireless mouse and keyboard, but the problem persists even when I remove them and the receiver from the pc. (I took out the batteries just to be sure they were off).

Fist I thought it was wireless interference since it interacts with keys being pressed and some scrolling, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, the fact that opening the tab "recording devices" kind of suppresses the beeping makes me think it's a software problem. Interestingly, if I disable "realtek Digital Output", this effect is gone. So The tab has to be open AND Realtek Digital Output has to be enabled to render the beeping nearly inaudible.

Geez, this sounds like something I made up, I don't understand it...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Interference can also come from cell phones, routers and microwaves but well done for checking the mouse.

An other possible cause is IRQ conflicts, some reading http://avid.force.co...ooting/en401407

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

Kg6

Kg6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Alright, hope this works:

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25216232

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Please remove the ATI High Definition Audio Device and the USB Sound Device software in add/remove programs and see if it helps, if no joy run DriverMax to see if any Realtek driver updates are suggested http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/ please note that you are only allowed to download two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the install AVG toolbar box as well.

I note another couple of issues in the report that need your attention would you like to address them if and when this issue is resolved.

Kg6

Kg6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks!

I removed the programs/drivers you suggested, unfortunately without success. Even when my computer thinks there's no sound device installed, this beeping is still in the headphones. It seems like some sound the computer makes when it's "working" is transferred to and amplified by the headphones. But then again, when I mouse over the speaker icon in the bottom right (taskbar), it stops as long as I hold my mouse there (I just discovered this).

Of course I'd like to hear about any other issues that could be solved! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Any driver updates suggested by DriverMax.

Can you borrow a set of headphones from a friend and see if the issue is still present, while we are attempting to resolve this can you make sure that the headphones are only plugged into a USB 2.0 port and not the faster 3.0 ports on the rear of the case.

You are welcome BTW and we can sort the other items later.

Advertisements

Kg6

Kg6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I installed Realtek High Definition Audio and Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller but things seem just the same. There are still some ATI ones and USB sound device and High definition audio device. I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to try those though, but I'm afraid it won't help :/

I just tried with an old set of headphones (non usb ones) and there's no beeping in those. Maybe I'll just have to buy a headset that's not usb :/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I am not a fan of USB headphones for the very same reason as the problem that you are experiencing now, for the best sound reproduction you should go straight to the source be it an audio chip integrated into the MB or an add on sound card, your MB has a very good on board sound chip so I would use it.

Regarding the other issues I have noted; you have multiple programs that are installed more than once, you have multiple codec software installed and this may be the cause of the issue due to software conflicts, you have 3 anti virus programs installed when you need only one, this again can cause you problems as it can actually leave you vulnerable to malware attack because the AV software will be too busy fighting each other for control of your system to notice suspect activity, uTorrents is present on your machine, are you aware of the dangers of using such software.

Kg6

Kg6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay, I'm just using my old headphones now. At least now I know this problem probably can't be solved and I should just get a decent headset.

I'm currently cleaning up my installed programs, it is quite a mess in there. In my defense, I'm only using one antivirus ;) But I'll remove the other ones anyway.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
See the canned text below for help with improving the computers performance and security, disregard the items that we have already covered;

My first suggestion is to tidy up the data on your HDD so please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.
Couple of other things to consider are what size HDD do you have and how much free storage space is available, you should always have between 12 and 15% of the overall capacity available, do not have more than 1 AV program running as it causes slowness as the programs fight for control of system resources, this can lead to instability and/or crashes.

What AV do you use, some use a lot more system resources than others Norton and AVG are excellent but very demanding.

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN
type MSCONFIG in the RUN box

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your anti virus software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.
then click OK

Kg6

Kg6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials for years already, so far it's the only antivirus that hasn't caused any performance issues or annoyances for me. I also have the impression that it starts fast and doesn't slow down the pc too much.

I attached the autoruns txt. That's quite a list :| While the only things I actually want to start are gmail notifier, skype and AV.
My startup folder is empty though, I hate it when programs force themselves in startup.

Edited by Kg6, 26 January 2013 - 05:21 PM.