Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Closing old threads.

• Please log in to reply

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Just a thought from the Wolf but today I looked at this recent reply to a 2008 thread......

http://www.geekstogo...aptop-mic-only/

Do you think it's worth considering closing threads such as these so as to stop people inadvertently replying to them as they may not realise how old the thread is.

Edited by Wolfeymole, 26 January 2013 - 09:48 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It has been debated several times and always the ending result is in the tech forums there is no way to determine the issue is actually resolved. In the malware forum you know it is clean but in tech it could return at a later date. Therefor the decision was to not close tech topics. :upset:

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Although there is downside to leaving topics open, we've also had situations in which someone has come along with a new or updated solution that worked for them, and then they post it. Since these topics will still show up in Google searches, we feel it's beneficial to leave the topics open if they might help other people as new solutions are provided.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:notworthy:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Thank you for your collective comments however I would disagree with the inference that closing a given threads or threads would affect Google searches as I know of several forums that adopt such a policy without any adverse effect..

Good morning to you all. :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
You misunderstood what I said. I know that closing a topic won't affect the outcome of a Google search. We have had instances, however, in which someone has found a thread during a search,and has been able to propose a new solution that has helped subsequent users. We prefer to keep topics open unless they become a spam magnet.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Indeed an admirable point Sari but what I was trying to point out that in the link I provided was that others were asking for help too with regard to a similar issue rather than adding helpful pointers as to what could be causing the main issue.

:)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
This is something that has been discussed at length among upper management here, and it's been decided that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. We will continue to leave threads open.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Thank you for your comments Sari. :)