Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS Not Found (Among many many other problems)

• Please log in to reply

lollercauster

lollercauster

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I wake up this morning to the S.M.A.R.T. screen stating that the harddrive is about to crash. This is old news to me since it's been like this for quite a while and I "rescued" it from it as best I could. However, now I just want to get into the [bleep] computer and see if I can save any of the files. When it gets past the opening Compaq screen that asks me to press F2 to setup and all of that, which doesn't happen often, it goes to this preboot screen. Called Argos...or something, whatever the company's name that handles that. It gets to that, lists some useless specs and then tells me the Operating System cannot be found.

Now, I've changed the boot order and put the cd drive first and inserted my XP Pro cd. But, it never freaking goes to the recovery console screen. It either goes to the Argos preboot check thingy and tells me it can't find the OS or it gets stuck at the opening screen.

And yes, the hard drive might be dying. But let's disregard that for now.

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
If I were you I'd get a new hard drive, install Windows to it, fit the old drive as a slave and see if you can copy your files over.

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Did you change your BIOS setting to boot from CD?
If so, are you seeing a screen that says:
Hit any key to boot from CD......?

lollercauster

lollercauster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No, it never goes to that option. I never even get the chance. The last time it said the hard drive was about to die, it was because the hard drive froze up in the middle of defragging, but a wiped the drive and it stopped being slow and started acting like a normal computer.

But I don't even know what caused this, I guess the drive finally died. But I'd at least try to explore my options a bit. (The non-spending money options)

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
If the drive is dead, there isnt really much you can do.
Do you have access to another computer? If you do, set the old hard drive up as a slave, and put it in, and see if Windows can even read it...
Other thatn that, everything I know of in recovery wise, requires the drive set as slave anyways...

lollercauster

lollercauster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
But everyone said the drive was dead the last time I had a problem and I proved them wrong, but I guess this is really it this time. I'll try the slave thing when I get a new computer I guess.

It made noises before, then when I reformatted it, which took FOREVER, it eventually stopped. Now it's back to making noises, but this time it's worse and it's the screeching noises.

...so there's basically nothing? No boot disk, magic incantation, or virgins to sacrifice?

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
You don't need to buy a whole new computer, just a hard drive.

lollercauster

lollercauster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's a 60 GB laptop hard drive, if I was going to replace that it would be quite expensive. I guess I could go for smaller...but meh. God I hate laptops.

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
You should be able to get a new 60GB hard drive for around £60. That's a lot cheaper than a new laptop.

lollercauster

lollercauster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, i wasn't going to get a new laptop, a new desktop more like it. And where can I find a 60GB hard drive for a laptop for that cheap?

Edited by lollercauster, 06 June 2005 - 02:47 PM.