Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2nd Hard drive not showing up

• Please log in to reply

yakman76

yakman76

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys!
Hoping you can give me some help.

The daughters 2TB external hard drive (Western Digital) which she normally uses hooked up to her mac laptop, isnt showing up at all when connected with the supplied usb lead. I tried to hook it up to my desktop pc (running Windows Vista Home Premium) with the usb and it failed again.
I took it out of the case, and noticed where the usb lead plugs into the external hard drive, that the soldier has given way on a couple of points to the board.
I then manually hooked up the hard drive to my sata cables on my desktop pc (which were being used for the dvd drive)but it still isnt showing up under 'My Computer' or the 'Device Manager'.

I think I can feel vibration through the Western Digital External hard drive though, so I dont think its completly dead.
Any help to bring it back to life would be great thanks, as there is lots of stuff on it she needs.

Thankyou in advance!!

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Is the drive showing in Disk Management Yakman?

yakman76

yakman76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No it isnt showing up :(

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
It may well be that when the soldering went on the interface it may have took some of hard drives PCB circuits with it.

Power to the drive may be taking place but not any data interchange although this is mere speculation.

Without full circuit diagnostics on the hdd PCB it would be hard to determine the issue.