Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mystery

• Please log in to reply

YGkk

YGkk

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
If any of you had this problem before. Sometimes when i power up the computer i wont boot the screen remains black i hear a funny noise like a cricket noise and the power and reset led wont light up but everything else seems to power up and work. The only way that seems to work is to unplug the psu cable and after 1h to put it back and it starts. Also when i play sometimes games that require some major graphics it restarts and again same story the screen is black, noise...
I checked the video card even change it with another one.
Today i wanted to see what makes that cricket noise and i unpluged the power from the gpu and the pc started the power reset led light. I did that a couple of times and every time started but when i plug the gpu power again same result black screen and noise.
I don`t know whats the faulty hardware here psu gpu motherboard cables.
If any of you had a faulty psu could you tell if the noise comes from that.
The pc configuration is
intel i5 760 2.8ghz
2x2gb ramm OCZ dimm ddr3
mb MSI p55A-g55
psu OCZ 750W Fatal1ty
hdd hitachi 500 gb

Edited by YGkk, 27 January 2013 - 09:07 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: YGkk

This type of problem is often caused by overheating and a bad power supply.

When you started the computer without the power being connected to the GPU was the cricket noise still present.

If you are able to successfully boot up the computer run Speedfan and provide a screenshot for us;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

YGkk

YGkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I attached a file with the readings. When i unplug the power from the gpu there is no noise and the power reset led power up and all seems well. My gpu has 3 fans so i don`t think the overheat is a problem. I used funmark as tester for the gpu and it went well, just today when i tried to test it again after 1 millisecond after i hit the go button it restarted.
Now im using the samhttp://e pc to post after 1-2 h of waitingtested again with funmark and works fine. Tests are good heat goes up and down..
Is it possible that the psu is faulty and when the gpu demands more power the whole system crashes?
I play dota2 a lot a it does the restart thing at group fights when all players start casting magic ...

Btw nice forum very fast responses.

Posted Image

Edited by YGkk, 27 January 2013 - 01:33 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't know about you Phill but the speedfan and the voltages looks right on the money.

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Well what i see is the PSU failing ,the 12 volt rail is only at 10.74 volts...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Maybe we need a second diagnostics.

Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello YGkk

I have included a PSU tolerance table for you for future reference should you need it

+12V rail looks off at 10.74V Ron.

Beat me to the drop again Ron :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep might be the problem after all.

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
I suspect even another scan it will be the same...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Most likely but I always like to verify with another diagnostic or sensor test.

Advertisements

YGkk

YGkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hardware monitor readings are these.
http://www3.picturep...mg/12058826.jpg

Thank you for the help guys.

Edited by YGkk, 27 January 2013 - 06:04 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something isn't right because the +12 volt rail is over 16 volts on HW Monitor.
Does your bios have a sensor area to see what it is reporting for the +12 volt rail?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your link to HwMonitor does not work.

YGkk

YGkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I don`t think it has any rshaffer61 the only thing i saw in the bios is a section called Cell-menu and has all voltage on Auto(grey letters)
Here is a link of a video of the motherboard and the bios, maybe will help.

I don`t know why is not working for you iammykyl . Gonna the same site as the first image.
Hope it works.
Posted Image

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
In the speedfan log ,the low side of the 12 volt was showing 16 volts (-12) as the high side was showing 10.74 volts...@ YGkk So when you go into your bios ,you don't have any voltage readings,as they are all greyed out?

Edited by Veeg, 27 January 2013 - 07:57 PM.