Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinHlp32.exe Won't Install on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

markinzeroland

markinzeroland

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 verion 6.1.7601.1.0.66304 with SP1 on a Dell XPS420. I'm trying to install an update file for WinHlp32.exe (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607), Windows6.1-KB917607-x64.msu. When I try, I get an "Installer encountered an error: 0xc8000247. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,

Mark

Attached Files

Advertisements

markinzeroland

markinzeroland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
When I check for updates in the Control Panel, it says that Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer.

Restarting the computer is not working.

I've trying running the Command Prompt as admin and ran "net start wuauserv" but it only states that the service is running. Going back to the Control Panel, I see that Windows Update is still not working.

The last change I recall making to the system since the last time update worked was to add a second hard drive and migrate to a RAID1 partition using the Intel Matrix Storage Console version 8.9.

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by markinzeroland, 31 January 2013 - 08:07 AM.

markinzeroland

markinzeroland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I figured this out. The root cause of the problem was installing the Intel Matrix Storage Console version 8.9 so I could migrate my hard drive partition from AHCI to RAID1 without losing my data. The consoole utility replaced my RAID drivers with an older version that was not compatible with Windows Update. After reinstalling the latest (version 11.7.0.1013) drivers from Intel, Windows Update started working again.

Mark

Edited by markinzeroland, 31 January 2013 - 08:10 AM.