Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC work qs

• Please log in to reply

hoopsman

hoopsman

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Hello to all. I have been a geek for a while now, but have failed to put my skills to much use. I worked at staples for a year, left cause I didnt like the job. Now I intake computers as a volunteer job, I fix them until they are usable.(laptops are donated to this local shelter i help out) But thats about it. I have built two computers of my own, and I have tried to do coding like python in the past. Unfortunately, I have just been diagnosed with ADD, and it makes it hard to focus on learning new things like code, or software, etc, etc. So my question is, where do I go from here? Im thinking about going back to school, but I dont know what I would be majoring in yet. Any ideas of where I could start?

thanks guys! :cool:

Edited by hoopsman, 28 January 2013 - 12:41 PM.

Advertisements

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Hello Hoopsman

Like you I suffer from ADD amongst other things and found coding hard at first. Heres what I did to learn first I picked the easy to learn code which for me was HTML and CSS and used them to create web sites for friends and family and a site for myself which I tried to incorporate as much fun and impressive features as I could code at the time it wasn't easy but it was rewarding to see it done if you can ever finish a web page as I always found upgrades I could make, learn something new and you want to add it.

Ok places to learn to code by far the easiest and most user friendly is Code academy I have enclosed the URL below this line

http://www.codecademy.com/

Try HTML and CSS when you have basic html mastered this should help get your mind to work and understand coding better it did with me and now I code in Java, C++, PHP, HTML, CSS and am learning more. The key to keep me going as like you I do find it hard is find something fun to do spark those neurons

Have a go at code academy see how you get on and if you need any help I will appear on this site now and again or others would help I'm sure

Hope you get on OK mate

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
I forgot this topic was still open, it's super old! It's funny you said to do HTML and stuff first, because that's what I'm doing now. I've decided to pursue it help desk right now, and I just picked up a part time position doing it work for a small computer company! I'm not sure if I will pursue code beyond HTML(it guys don't really need to know much code beyond HTML anyway I think), but I am enjoying HTML so far, and I'm looking forward to this next semester. I don't have a [bleep] feeling in my gut, and that's the first time I could say that about going into any semester.

Wish me luck, and thanks for the advice

Hoopsman