Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 troubleshooter says "The DNS Server isn't responding

• Please log in to reply

library_babel

library_babel

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
About two month ago my laptop ((HP Pavilion dv6, windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit) suddenly began refusing to connect to outside networks (e.g., Starbucks). Works fine on home network.

After long period of avoidance, I attempted troubleshooting again today. Windows troubleshooter reports "The DNS Server isn't responding". DHCP server 192.168.5.1 not responding. Kept timing out. Or so I think. I am far too lacking in computer literacy skills to comprehend.

I checked firewalls, Kaspersky (Pure 2.0), OpenDNS setting, network adapters. I am guessing at this point that there something unhappy going on with network adapter, but I am far to lacking in computer literacy skills to understand more than that.

Since out of my depth here I took some screen shots; not sure if they will be of any help.

Ran report -- http://www.getsystem...98fec3a8acd2bf2

Thanks!:)

Attached Thumbnails

• troubleshooting wifi at starbucks 1.png
  • event viewer 1-28-13 DHCP-Client error.png
  • event viewer 1-28-13 Application Error.png
  • microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter 1-28-13.png
  • ralink RT5390 802.1b g n WiFi Adapter 1-28-13.png
  • realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller 1-28-13.png

Advertisements

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi,

Let's see if we can figure out what going on with your DNS. Please run one scan at home and one at one of the networks that doesn't work (i.e. Starbucks).

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

library_babel

library_babel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Here is the home network scan. Will have to run the offsite scan tomorrow (or if freezing rain, Thursday).

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

K

Attached Files

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Ok. Posted Image

library_babel

library_babel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
attached: minitoolbox result starbucks

Right after I ran this report, I exited OpenDNS and guess what? I was able to log into the starbucks network and send this reply. What I don't know is why OpenDNS is preventing my connecting to public networks (it didn't use to do this) and if there is some way I need to reconfigure it so this does not happen again.

Thanks!

K

Attached Files

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
The reason your connection doesn't work at public places is because of the firewall on public routers. If you open up your OpenDNS software, you should see the window below:

Posted Image

Checking the "DNSCrypt over TCP" should solve your issues with connecting in public places. Let me know if it works.

library_babel

library_babel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
okay, I checked "DNSCrypt over TCP" and tried a another public network this afternoon. Could not access the network until I completely exited OpenDNS. Also, each time I returned to my private network I could not connect until I re-opened OpenDNS. Not sure if I should keep OpenDNS or ditch it, as it's clearly going to cause problems every time I change networks. K

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi,

DNSCrypt (the software that you are using) is still in beta and so might have some bugs. Unchecking the "Enable DNSCrypt" might help your connection.

Also, you can use openDNS without using that piece of software. Instructions here.

If you decide to do it that way, you should uninstall:

DNSCrypt (Version: 0.0.6)
OpenDNS Updater 2.2.1 (Version: 2.2.1)

library_babel

library_babel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I uninstalled DNSCrypt and OpenDNS Updater 2.2.1, and followed the directions specified in the link. Will have to test it out. Thanks for what will hopefully be the final fix. :)

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Ok, let us know how it works.