Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office 2003 StartUp Installation Error

• Please log in to reply

bzhungu

bzhungu

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer had Office 2003 loaded for a 60 day free trial when i purchased it. i never activated the trial and currently use Office 2000. When I was loading some updates from msoffice.com, I accidentally loaded a 2003 update and now everytime I try to open a Office Program the 2003 version tries to load. It then asks for me to insert the discs and the only way I can exit this is to CTRL/ALT/DLT - End Task. Otherwise it just continues in a cycle trying to install. Now I can not even use Internet Explorer. I have tried to uninstall 2003 and have even done a System Restore and it still tries to load 2003 every time I restart the computer. I'm at a loss of what to try. Would appreciate any suggestions.

bzhungu

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run disc clean up to see if the Office installation files are there and remove them

bzhungu

bzhungu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I went to disc cleanup and the files were listed there but the size was '0'. I deleted them just in case. But it made no difference. Before I did that I noticed that I can now access and use all Office 2000 programs,Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. The only thing I continue to have problems with is Explorer. Any further suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try Firefox to see if you still get errors

http://www.mozilla.org/

Get XP SP2 on CD and load it

http://www.microsoft...us/default.mspx

Re-installing SP2 is Microsoft way of repairing IE

Removing SP2 is best avoided, get the CD and then just load it over the top

bzhungu

bzhungu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. I've been using Firefox to get to the internet and I've had no problems there. I'll try your new suggestion.