Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

writing windows 7 to new hard drive and get error message Fail to rest

• Please log in to reply

rap215

rap215

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Installed new hard drive and can't get windows to fully load.
get error message Fail to restore incremental image

Edited by rap215, 28 January 2013 - 08:12 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How are you loading the new hard drive? Sounds like you are using some kind of backup/restore software like Acronis or Macrium.

How big was the old drive?
How big is the new drive?
Is the new one a SSD?

rap215

rap215

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Im using the back up cd's i burnt when i first got it, the hard drive 320 and old one was 500, I'm not sure what your last question is.

rap215

rap215

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the hard drive is western digital i believe, it loads all the but when it goes to updating ststem it gets about half and error code comes up fail to write icremt image and wont load the rest. tried for 2 days i have to be doing something wrong.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry, SSD = Solid State Drive. Not what you have.

I suspect the backup discs are defective unfortunately. Not a lot you can do about it at this point.

Is this a laptop or a Desktop? If it's a Desktop, you could mount both drives then clone the old one to the new one. Macrium Reflect Free and Acronis True Image 2013 both have clone capability.

If it's a laptop, you could do an image backup using Macrium Reflect Free or buy Acronis True Image 2013. You would need an external hard drive to backup to. If you can do that then you would install the new drive and use the Macrium or Acronis rescue disc you would have to create to restore the backup image to the new drive.

Lastly, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here: 2.1 Microsoft Windows 7 Official .iso Download Links (Digital River)

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO. The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.

For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.