Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 laptop help

• Please log in to reply

SamSpadeSleuth

SamSpadeSleuth

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
My sons laptop has developed a problem which is probably due to all the games he has downloaded in the past no doubt. He is now banned from gaming on it!

At the moment it looks like it is in safe mode but there is an empty box stuck in the middle of the home page. Before this is was so slow it was impossible.

I would appreciate it if someone could run some checks for me to see what is wrong.

Thanks

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You're best bet would be to save any data on the laptop then restore it to factory new state. How you do this varies with each manufacturer. What is the make and model number of the laptop?

SamSpadeSleuth

SamSpadeSleuth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi there Ztruker, thanks for the reply.

The laptop is a HP Compaq Presario CQ 62.

Just to update, lots of different software keeps opening but it is totally uncontrollable.

Thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Go to the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum, read the first post and follow instructions.

Come back here once you get a clean bill of health if you still have problems.

SamSpadeSleuth

SamSpadeSleuth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Unfortunately, I cannot even get this far. Internet explorer sort of opens but it will not work. I think the whole system is completely messed up

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a guess but are you in Safe Mode or Safe Mode With Networking?
The first will not allow internet service.
If you can't get online with the laptop you can use the system you are responding here with to download the suggested programs and using a flash drive transfer to the laptop, run and then copy the logs to the flash drive and attach as suggested to your topic.

SamSpadeSleuth

SamSpadeSleuth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
rshaffer61, thanks that's great I will use a flash drive because internet access is not happening.