Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange notebook shuts down

• Please log in to reply

randomnii

randomnii

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Very strange problem. Notebook shuts down when I try to install / run any version is Windows XP (and absolutely any versions Windows XP livecd's), but when I try to boot from Windows 7(and any his livecd's) computer does not turn off. At first I thought that this problem is due to overheating. After that I tried to clean the laptop completely, replaced the thermal paste, but it did not help. I also tried to run the laptop with the another RAM and HDD, also Flashed the BIOS. Did not help. In general, it looks like Windows XP uses some Drivers who make my notebook off.
What suggestions? Thanks.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I'm unsure what you mean by an XP Live cd, can you explain please?

Are you saying that Windows 7 is on the laptop now and that you are trying to install XP on it?

randomnii

randomnii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I'm unsure what you mean by an XP Live cd, can you explain please?

Are you saying that Windows 7 is on the laptop now and that you are trying to install XP on it?

Windows Live cd - Version of Windows that can boot without installation. Windows 7 installed without problems.
No matter in what section to install Windows XP - Computer just shuts down during installation.
On a notebook installed Windows XP(It also does not start). But it is no matter because when I try to boot any any Live CD with Windows XP, the problem persists. I have a lot of CDs. One of them - the original Windows XP SP3.(Laptop shuts down when installing, Replacing the hard drive does not help).

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What version of Windows 7 do you have on the laptop because if it's Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise then you could run 7 in XP mode and install to that.

Quite honestly though now you've had this box apart anything could have happened, especially if you did not thoroughly clean the thermal residue off before replacing.