Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't reinstall anymore on ASUS A6VA laptop

• Please log in to reply

amala

amala

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I attempted a re-installation (using the manufacturers recovery CDs) on my ASUS A6VA Q004H laptop which I have had for the last 7 years. I have done this many times before without any problems whatsoever.

However on this occasion, for some unknown reason, the installation stalled saying that it didn't recognise the second recovery CD when I inserted it at the prompt during the installation process. I didn't know what to do as I had deleted the old partition containing the operating system and created a new partition during the re-installation process. I now had a laptop that had no working or completely restored operating system on it, so I could no longer get into Windows anymore.

I tried the re-installation repeatedly only for the process to come to a halt at the same place again and again. Eventually I gave up and tried to re-install Linux using a CD I downloaded form their website. Again, the same thing happened and the installation process halted for no reason I could figure halfway through it all.

I tried the Linux again but this time the laptop won't even respond or recognise the Linux CD operating system at all. So I tried the XP recovery CD again and the installation process started and I got passed the bit where it asks if I (A)CCEPT that a recovery will begin and to press (Y)es to continue so that Windows can enter SETUP and start loading files.
However, it is at this point that everything stalls.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this situation? Is there any hope for such a situation? Or should I just give up and disassemble the laptop for any parts or could I use this laptop as a bare bones etc and rebuild it with new parts? Please help if you can.

Many thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Things I can think of.

1. Replace the CD/DVD drive in the laptop. $35 to $50
2. Use an external, USB connected CD/DVD drive, probably about the same cost.
3. Try making a copy of the 2nd disc. You can do this on any computer that has a CD burner.

amala

amala

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply. I tried re-installing using an external CD/DVD drive and the same thing happens. I also tried installing using a portable Linux operating system on a USB memory stick. I had success in in using the OS but when it came to installing it on the HDD it just wouldnt work.
I am beginning to think as suggested by some one else that the HDD itself may be faulty as well as the optical device.
I ran a systems check and the HDD was detected but it didnt say anything about whether it was reading or not. The optical device was also detected but wasnt able to read.
Furthermore, the Archive manager in Linux seems to keep malfunctioning.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Boot using the bootable diagnostic cd for your HD brand and test if it still working properly.

Also check your ram stick (memory) sometimes the installation stops saying it cannot read the files (us thinking it's the cd or cd/dvd player in fault) but it is actually the memory that is faulty and the system reaches a point where it cannot write to it. You can use MEMTEST to check your ram.

Hope that helps