Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Starting a new build.

• Please log in to reply

Mors115

Mors115

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys I starting a new computer build and had a few questions i wished o ask. I have spent alot of time upgrading computers and such but never uilt one 100%. So this is going to be fun. I know how to do most hook p just had some question on specs and such before i shelled out 2g.

Some things im looking at getting are:
1x IN WIN Dragon Rider Black 1.0 - 0.8mm SECC Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
1x ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
1x Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
1x Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Thats as far as i have gotten so far. Of course im building this for gaming and alot to d with Elder Scrolls coming out and all. Some quesitons i have is what Graphics card would you all reccomned something not to terrible expensive but still has good put put. WOuld you reccmoned Cross fire? What kinda power suplly? And for a CPU heatsink what should I go with that is compatialbe with that mother board.

Thanks in advance guys.

~Mors

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
:welcome: Mors115

Couple of pointers for you;

You do not need an i7 CPU for gaming, the i5 3570k is plenty powerful enough.
i7 CPUs are mainly used by video editors, games programmers and CAD professionals.

If your budget will allow it go for a GTX 670 GPU, if not a GTX 660Ti.

Never choose a PSU until all other parts are decided on and confirmed as available and then use a PSU calculator such as http://images10.newe...tage-Calculator and stick with proven quality brands such as Antec, Corsair, OCZ or Seasonic.

Using an aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty both AMD and Intel are clear on this, see below;

AMD;

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Full AMD article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx

Intel;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing;

Full Intel article available @ http://www.intel.com...b/cs-009862.htm

A list of parts for you to look over http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Al6m

Mors115

Mors115

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the quick response. I looked at the sight and added up the power supply i went a lot bigger then it said I needed just to be on the safe side. Upgrades down the road.

With a I5 CPU how long would it last with furture games coming out to run top spec?
Would you think that that computer would last for awhile running at top sepc?
I put 16 gbs Ram is that way to much?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AnFe

Thanks again for all help.

~Mors

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Most gamers and in reviews,say the i5 3750k is as good/performs as the i7 3770k..8 gigs of ram would do you good,but 16 gigs never hurts..

The future in cards and gaming,as it goes just look at the history,the more games advance the more upgrades will be needed.. The i5 core should last you a good while...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Having 16GB of Ram now is a matter of personal preference, if you are not worried about the cost fine but do not expect to utilize all 16GB of Ram with any current games, same with the PSU having a more powerful output than is needed does no harm as the system will only draw what it needs.

Nice case BTW :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
+1 for Phillpower2's observations.

Nice case BTW :thumbsup:

Yes, I have looked at that case recently, wish some of the Antec cases came with such a selection of front ports.
Couple of points, many users had problems fitting an after market cooler, had to remove or alter the side fan, only has air filter on the PSU intake.