Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Read Error Upon restoring XP

• Please log in to reply

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
So I got a virus on my netbook, and after removing it, XP is all messed up, and I need to do a clean install of XP.

When I run the restore process, it starts to copy files, etc, does what it needs to do. Then it restarts, and when it boots up, I get a Disk Read Error, press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. (Also should be known when system is booting up, after post I get two options: "Windows XP Setup" and "Windows Home Edition". Choosing the Setup will give me the Disk Read Error. Then selecting home edition, boots up into Windows XP as normal)

I ran a check disc and found no problems. How can I do a clean install of XP if getting this disk read error?

I tried to put XP on a USB flash drive, but couldn't turn it into a bootable flash drive because the size is 16 GB. Too large.

Edited by Ech0es, 05 February 2013 - 06:26 PM.

Advertisements

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Bump.

Anyone??

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What exactly is written on the XP disk that you have Echoes?

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I have no XP CD. The disk read error is from the hard drive failing to read the partition where the XP restore files are stored. I think. (No CD ROM on this netbook)

I have no other way to restore but use the restore function that comes with the netbook. And that is corrupted.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I do apologise for missing the Netbook aspect and I would agree that the drive is faulty but the thing is that without an XP cd to install either via usb or an external optical drive then we are going nowhere fast.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Yes. I plan on buying a external CD Rom drive today, making a bootable Windows XP CD, and see what I can do. I might try the repair function first. If that doesn't work, I will try to do a clean install.

Though I am sure when I try reinstalling XP, I'll likely get another Disk Read Error.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Never mind. Got it to work.

Edited by Ech0es, 07 February 2013 - 05:18 PM.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
That's good to hear. :thumbsup: