Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bilingual Typing

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Not a major problem, but one which I would like to solve. Is there a way to set up Windows XP where I can type in French and have the necessary grammatical accents on the e's, ees, etc. Are there shortcut keys that can be used?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Go to your Language Bar and select Settings the menu TEXT SERVICES AND INPUT LANGUAGES will appear choose add and select CANADIAN MULTILINGUAL STANDARD and Select it.

You will then have your é è à ê option while keeping the english keyboard, some keys will change location but play around with them and you will find them.

Edited by Alzeimer, 31 January 2013 - 07:11 PM.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Pardon my ignorance but where do i find language bar is it on the taskbar lower right hand bottom of screen near clock?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Yes it is, right click on it and choose settings

or

you can go into the Control Panel and choose Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options then choose Regional and Language Options choose the tab Language and then click on Details

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Just in case you are having trouble finding your French letters on my keyboard they are near the ENTER key the SHIFT key the = key and under the BACKSPACE key

é beside shift
è beside enter
à under backspace
ç under =
ê beside the P

please take note that the ê you have to first press on the key for ^ then the e to have ê

Under that language configuration please also note that @ is obtained by pressing shift + 2

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
THANKS LOADS
BTW I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN MONTREAL

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip