Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Added a 2nd hard drive that won't boot

• Please log in to reply

heartfailure

heartfailure

• Pip
  • 2 posts
As briefly explained in the title I added a 2nd hard drive to my computer for some much needed memory unfortunately even though my computer recognizes the drive in the BIOS it won't boot it up no matter what I do it seems I've tried playing around with boot priorities and the like but I just can't get it to boot is the hard drive DOA? Or am I missing something?

my System specs are

Windows 7
AMD FX 4100
Asus M5A97 motherboard
NVIDIA GTX 570 graphics card

but more importantly
Main Drive: OCZ Agility 120GB

and the drive in question: Intel ssdsa2m080g2gc 80GB

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Heartfailure and :welcome:

If I'm reading your post right then you've added a secondary SSD drive in addition to the Primary OCZ drive to gain some spare space yes?

If this is the case then the SSD won't boot as there is no operating system on it.

heartfailure

heartfailure

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
so basically all I have to do is add an OS to my new SSD and it will work just fine?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I feel that you are labouring under a misapprehension where you think you need the second drive to have an operating system for it to run.

If this is the case then you would be mistaken because all Windows on the OCZ does is view the SSD as available spare space that you can transfer things to.

All you need to do with the SSD is create a partition on it and format it to NTFS and that's it.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Further to Wolfeymole remarks.
You are a little muddled with the terms and concept of the hardware.
The primary (boot) drive, mechanical or SSD, (in your system the OCZ Agility 120GB) is a storage device that contains the operating system, programs and DATA.
When you open a word document and start to work on it, Data is sent to the processor and to the RAM, (memory) After finishing the work the Date is then written back to the HDD.

AS you think there is not enough room left on the Primary drive, you are correct in your decision to install a second HDD, (slave) for more space to store Data. NO OS is installed on this drive.

The Intel 80GB SSD is not really a very good choice, to small, you will fill it in no time if you have lots of music and films. Dollar per Gigabyte, very expensive.
If at all possible, you should return the SSD drive and get one with more space (capacity), This is the one I use for my storage drive, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148840